Hard-skin; what defines Scleroderma actually? Scleroderma is an autoimmune rheumatic disease of the connective tissue featured by thick and hard skin, involving scarring, blood vessel problems and varying degrees of inflammation, and which is associated with an overactive immune system. Progressive involvement of internal organs may also occur.
Intervention of Ayurvedic Herbal Remedy for Scleroderma can manage the condition to enough extent.
Types of scleroderma are
- Localized scleroderma, that one is mild form which generally affects only the skin, although it can spread to the muscles, joints and bones. Internal organ are not affected. Symptoms include hard, oval-shaped patches on the skin [Morphea]; bands or streaks of thickened skin form on the arms, legs, or face [linear scleroderma].
- Systemic scleroderma, most serious form of the disease, that involves the skin, muscles, joints, blood vessels, lungs, kidneys, heart and other organs.
- Scleroderma's severity depends person to person.
- Women are more affected than men.
- Age of occurrence between 20 to 40 years of age.
What are the Causes of Scleroderma?
- Exact cause is not sure.
- It is an autoimmune disease in which body's immune system becomes overactive and out of control that stimulates cells in the connective tissue to produces too much of collagen, causing scarring and thickening (fibrosis) of the tissue.
- It is considered that certain environmental factor like viral infections, organic solvent or radiation therapy may trigger the disease in genetically predisposed individuals.
Ayurvedic View for the Cause of Scleroderma Occurrence
As Ayurveda explains scleroderma as a form of skin disease that is caused by the concurrent imbalance of the Doshas [Vata, Pitta and Kapha] disrupting the Tvak (skin), Ambhu (lymph i.e. Rasa Dhatu), Rakta Dhatu and Mamsa Dhatu.
What can be the Signs and Symptoms of Scleroderma?
- Patient of Scleroderma can have thick and hard skin that appears shiny and smooth. Most commonly it occurs in cold. Fingers or toes that turn red, white, or blue. This is called Raynaud's phenomenon.
- Ulcers or sores on fingertips occurs.
- Appearance of small red spots on the face and chest. These are opened blood vessels called telangiectasia.
- Swollen or painful fingers and/or toes.
- Swollen or Painful joints.
- Weakness and pain in Muscle can be there.
- Dry eyes or mouth (called Sjogren's syndrome)
- Shortness of breath.
- Heartburn, bloating including other digestive symptoms.
- Weight Loss
Lifestyle and Home Remedies for Scleroderma Patient
- Keep your body warm to reduce Raynaud's symptoms and maintain core temperature of your body's when it's cool.
- Avoid Smoking as nicotine may worsen the Raynaud's Disease.
- With Regular exercise flexibility and strength can be maintained.
Habits can be changed as
- In case, swallowing is tough you can have soft and moist food to chew.
- Have frequent small meals to reduce acid reflux and avoid spicy food, alcohol etc.
- Avoid doing exercise immediately before or after eating.
- Protect your skin as excess of collagen can destroys sweat and oil glands, causing your skin stiff and dry.
- For that Avoid harsh soaps and detergents.
- Reduce frequent bathing.
- Use oil-based rich moisturizer immediately after washing your hands or bathing, while your skin is still damp.
- Apply sunscreen before going outside to protect further damage to skin.
- Maintain a good oral hygiene
- In case of chronically dry mouth, try to drink lots of water.
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedy for Scleroderma
1. Gandhak Rasayan:
Gandhak Rasayan are herbal tablets, prepared using pure Gandhak (Sulphur purified) and pure Sharkar (pure sugar). It has the ability to retain the healthy skin. It is helpful to improve the immunity and in that way helps the body to fight against bacterial infections along with it can reduce the inflammation. It is an effective Ayurvedic Remedy for Scleroderma.
- Gandhak (Sulphur Purified): Sulphur has the property to absorb moisture from the environment into the skin. It helps to get rid of the dead surface of the skin and brings out healthy skin from below.
- Sharkar (Pure Sugar)
Dose: 2 tablets twice to thrice daily, with plain water, after meals.
2. Neem Capsules:
The Neem capsules are rich in medicinal in property and is of great importance without any side effects. Formed by the use of the pure extracts of Neem (Azadirachta indica). This capsule is found to be not only good for healthy skin but even maintains the overall health of the body.
Neem capsules are potent blood purifier antioxidant and immunity modulator, best anti-allergic as in skin allergies and respiratory tract infections. This herbal capsule is able to cure dry skin, skin rashes, skin irritation, skin itching, skin inflammation which makes it to be an effective Ayurvedic Herbal Remedy for Scleroderma because of its property for Skin.
Neem (Azadirachta indica): Neem is a natural herb with so many medicinal effects. Neem herb has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the inflammation and pain making it a benevolent remedy in managing the symptoms of skin disease like Scleroderma. This herb also comprises of healing and antiseptic properties. It is even effective in Gangrene that heal the wounds and sore in the case of gangrene.
Dose: Two capsule two times in a day with plain water after meals.
Ashwagandha capsules are Herbal formulations, prepared using pure extract of Ashwagandha herb. It is useful in boosting the immune system. It is efficacious to improve the physical and mental capacity of the body, in that way enhancing the energy, strengths of the body and overall health is kept. It is good in reducing the anxiety and stress levels.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) - Ashwagandha is herb with so many medicinal uses. Ashwagandha has the property to strengthen the body and lower the body fatigue caused due to accumulation of toxins in the body. Other uses are to provide support in functioning of circulatory, immune, adrenal, and reproductive systems in the body.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals
4. Arjuna Capsules:
Arjuna Capsules are Ayurvedic herbal preparation that effectively maintains healthy blood circulation and balances Tridoshas of the body. This herbal formulation uses standardized extract of pure Arjuna.
Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) - Arjuna herb is capable to detoxify the blood due to its astringent effects. It is also homeostatic that it relieves bleeding conditions and controls intensified pitta. It enhances the stamina making a person work energetically reducing the feeling of being stressed and fatigued.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.