- A balanced diet is important to maintaining health and well-being.
- Maintain a healthy weight -BMI should be 19-25.
Your waist circumference should be under 40 inches (102 cm), Women should be under 35 inches (89 cm).
WHAT TO EAT?
- Eat a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes. Focus on foods high in vitamins minerals, as well as fiber, protein, and energy!
- Eat mostly foods of a plant origin, and eat a variety of colors to ensure you are meeting nutrient needs
- Eat at least 5 portions (14-21 oz) of non-starchy vegetables and fruits daily.
- Eat relatively unprocessed grains and legumes with every meal.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
WHAT TO AVOID?
- Limit consumption of energy-dense processed foods.
- Limit intake of refined, starchy foods and salt-preserved, salted, or salty foods. Your sodium intake should be less than 2,400mg daily. Preserve foods without using salt.
- Consume ‘fast foods’ sparingly – complete avoidance is best of all.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks and juices and colas with excessively high sugar content.
- Avoid open buffets, salad bars, and crowded restaurants, where germs or bacterial contamination could more easily contaminate your food.
- Do not eat raw or lightly cooked or soft-boiled eggs or raw vegetable sprouts.