What if your vision start diminishing and feel like bulge in your eye? The cornea is the clear tissue covering the front of the eye. The cornea forms the very important part of our eye. Light has a pathway to enter the eye through the cornea, that refracts, or focuses, the light rays so that we can see clearly. With Keratoconus, there is alteration in the shape of the cornea and that leads to distortion of your vision. Keratoconus is a condition in which the normal clear and dome-shaped cornea becomes thin and bulges outward to form a cone shape.
Keratoconus can makes your daily activities difficult, as that of driving, typing on a computer, watching television or reading. Both males and females are equally affected.
Keratoconus can occur in one or both eyes and often begins during a person's teens or early 20.
Ayurvedic point of view
Ayurvedic point of view considers that when there is vitiation in the pitta of the body that leads to disturbance in the eyes.
What can be the Causes of Keratoconus?
The cause of keratoconus remains still unknown. But it can be inherited as according to some researchers genetics play a role as it has been found that in 10 percent of people with keratoconus also have a family member with the condition.
Additional causative factors of keratoconus problems could be:
- Occurring of injury in the eye either due to excessively rubbing of eyes or wearing hard contact lenses for many years or it could be due to poorly fitted contact lenses.
- Certain eye diseases, such as, retinopathy of prematurity, retinitis pigmentosa and keratoconjunctivitis.
- Some of the Systemic diseases, like Down syndrome and Leber's congenital amaurosis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome osteogenesis imperfecta.
- Keratoconus is also considered to be related to certain allergies such as eczema and asthma
- Keratoconus also is related with overexposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun, and chronic eye irritation.
What all are the Signs and Symptoms of Keratoconus problems?
The most apparent symptom of keratoconus is a conically shaped cornea and this conical shape leads the cornea appear to 'bulge' from the eye socket. Usually both the eyes get affected, however symptoms in each eye may vary. Symptoms generally get start to appear in any person in their late teens and early 20s. It can be like
- It results in hazy, unclear, blurred and distorted vision.
- There can be Increase in the sensitivity of eye to sunlight, bright light or glare.
- It can cause eye strain, headaches and general eye pain
- “Ghost” images – when looking at one object gives the appearance of several images.
- Mild eye irritation
- Double vision in one eye can also be one of the symptoms.
Its rate of progression changes. Keratoconus often grows slowly for 10 to 20 years and then it suddenly stop. With the progression of the condition, the most common symptoms appear are:
- More increase in the blurring and distortion of vision
- There is increase in nearsightedness or astigmatism
- Recurrent prescription changes for eyeglass
- Individual is not able to wear contact lenses
Seldom, keratoconus can advance promptly, with sudden swelling of the cornea and development of corneal scarring. Scar tissue formation on the cornea makes the cornea to lose its smoothness and clarity. As a result, there is even further more distortion and blurring of vision can occur.
Herbal Remedies for Keratoconous
Pitta Balance is an herbal product that has been prepared to reduces the Pitta dosha of the body and provide cooling effects. It is a wonderful amalgamation that contains cooling compounds, natural calcium compounds to regain the pitta imbalance quickly. It has properties that can improves eye sight.
- Praval Pishti (Coral Calcium): Praval Pishti is prepared from coral and it is completely absorbable by the body
- Akik Pishti (Agate Calcium): It is herbal compound to balance the pitta
- Jahar Mohra Pishti (Calcium compound): It is a cooling agent. It balances pitta.
- Kamdudha Ras (Calcium compound): It is helpful in various pitta disorders.
- Mukta Pishti (Pearl Calcium): It is prepared from pearls having pitta pacifying properties.
- Giloy Satva (Tinospora cordifolia): It’s an herbal extract of Tinospora cordifolia. It helpful in removal of extra toxins from body.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals
2. Angel Eye Vitale
Angel Eye Vitale is an Ayurvedic preparation for that brings wonderful results in problems of eye. It is basically herbal formulation rich with minerals and vitamins which give good effects on eyes. All elements present in this herbal product contribute to proper nutrition to the eyes.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
3. Bilberry Capsules
Billberry Capsules are Ayurvedic natural capsules in Planet Ayurveda which have anti-oxidant property. This herbal product provides nutrition required for eyes. It has wonderful effect on eyes.
Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus): Bilberry is a herb that bring positive effects in eye sight related defects like myopia, night blindness, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, Keratoconus problems and cataract. It encloses anthocynosides and rich in vitamin A, C, E, K, magnesium, zinc and iron.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
Amalaki rasayan is a very good herbal formulation of Planet Ayurveda that can treat the eye defects. It has property to pacify the vitiated dosha and beneficial for the patients of myopia and Keratoconus problems.
Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
Dosage: 2 capsule twice daily after meals.
5. Amla Saar
It is a juice of Indian Gooseberry. Which makes it very best herbal formulation as per Ayurveda for improving and enhances the eyesight. It has antioxidant properties which helps to remove toxins from body.
Amla (Emblica officinalis): Amla is one of the richest source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the best anti- oxidant as an anti - ageing supplement. It is very good for eye diseases like Keratoconus problems.
Dosage: Mix equal amount of amla saar and water and consume it twice in a day.