Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) also called Lupus, is a chronic, heterogeneous, inflammatory, multisystem autoimmune disease where immune system of the body mistakenly attacks healthy tissues considering them as foreign elements and produces antibodies against them. This results in inflammation and damage to joints, skin, kidneys, liver, heart, lungs, blood vessels, and the nervous system.
SLE more commonly affecting females than males, occurring at any age mainly at age of 10-50 yrs. It is characterized by remission and relapses.
It is not contagious
All patients with Lupus develops certain changes in their skin.
- General features that develop are fatigue, fever, nausea, vomiting, and feeling of uneasiness.
- Hair loss may also be there.
- Classical feature is a butterfly-shaped rash (flat or raised) developing across the bridge of the nose and cheeks in about 50 per cent of lupus patients; or disk-shaped scaly rash develops on the face, neck, hands or chest.
- Some patients become photosensitive and often develops severe rashes or sunburns even to a little sun exposure.
- Skin ulcers, usually painless, on the tongue or inside the mouth or nose.
- Arthritis. Most of the patients experience pain and swelling in the joints accompanied by muscle pains, often with early morning stiffness. Some patients develop joint deformity.
- Inflammation of the linings of organs such as the heart and lungs causes shortness of breath or chest pain and making the breathing painful.
- Neurological symptoms involving any part of central or peripheral nervous system or meninges. Commonly causing mild cognitive impairment and also leads to headaches, personality changes, seizures, psychosis, organic brain syndrome, and meningitis.
- Kidney problems leading to swelling in the legs and gain in weight and it is often asymptomatic and is detected by proteinuria, hematuria, hypertension or a raised serum urea or creatinine.
- Raynaud's phenomenon, in which exposure to cold causes fingers, toes, nose and ears turn pale and numb due to compromised blood supply.
- Decrease in White blood cells and blood clotting factor (Platelets).
Causes of Lupus
Exact cause of SLE is unknown but there are certain factors which are leads to this disease.
The disease is not gene linked, but people with lupus often have family members with other autoimmune conditions.
Certain environmental triggering factors are like ultraviolet rays, certain medications, viruses, physical or emotional stress, and trauma.
3. Gender and Hormones
Women are more affected than men. Women also experience worsening of symptoms during pregnancy and with their menstrual periods which may be due to the female hormone estrogen.
Ayurvedic view of Lupus
Ayurveda explains Lupus as a stubborn disorder. According to Ayurveda Lupus occurs because of imbalance of the three dosha Vata, Pitta and Kapha that leads to disturbance in all the Dhatus(tissues) including Skin (Twak), Rasa Dhatu, Rakta Dhatu and Mamsa Dhatu. The vata is the main cluprit from three dosha and Dushayas are Rasa, Rakta, Mamsa dhatus and Twak.
Complication if not treated
- Development of blood clots, inflammation of the heart attack, stroke, and lung damage.
- SLE can have serious negative effects on your body during pregnancy as it may cause miscarriageor difficulty in conceiving.
- Women may not be able to tolerate birth control pills.
Lifestyle and Diet of Advice
- Patient who is suffering from Lupus must keep his diet healthy and well-balanced including fruits, fresh salads, vegetables and whole grains.
- Avoid oily, spicy or greasy, frozen and non-veg foods.
- Drinking lots of water flushes out toxins and pathogens from the body.
- Take plenty of rest and sleep.
- Avoid suspected allergens and chemicals.
- Protection from ultraviolet radiations of the sun by covering all the exposed parts of the body.
- Smoking should be avoided and limit the use of alcohol as it aggravates the condition.
- Regular exercises or Yoga and meditation keeps your body healthy.
Ayurvedic View of Treatment of SLE
Ayurveda concept for treatment of Lupus focuses on let the body heal itself via natural process by correcting the disturbed energies (doshas in Ayurveda) and the balance of these three doshas is necessary for good health.
Ayurvedic Treatment Available in Planet Ayurveda for SLE
1. Giloy Capsules
Therapeutic benefits of Giloy Capsules as anti-pyretic, anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory and blood purifying agent. Positive results are obtained in case of autoimmune diseases. Enhances memory and natural glow to face by its soothing property.
It helps in various ailments such as hyperacidity, abdominal pain, colitis, excessive thirst, liver disorder, hot flushes It produces right amount of mucin, which protects lining of duodenum and stomach.
Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia): It boosts immunity of the body, helps in building up strong immune system by enhancing the combating power of macrophages (type of white blood cell). It is magnificent herb, which balances all three doshas i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Because of its diuretic property it eliminates the toxins and maintains the pH of the body. Tonic, diuretic, stimulant, digestive, stomachic, bactericidal and aphrodisiac are properties of Giloy.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
2. Immune Magic: (Capsules)
This is a pure herbal formulation with best immune modulating quality. The regular use of Ayurvedic immune magic capsules reduces the chances of recurrent illness and enhances immunity.
Green tea (Camellia sinensis): Potent antioxidant, helpful in flushing out free radicals. These immune magic capsules provide longevity by improving strength.
Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri): It's a weed having herbaceous branches. It is helpful in problems related to kidney. It is an antioxidant which makes it capable to fight against viral infections. It enhances immunity and is beneficial in asthma, cough, cold, liver disorders, jaundice, skin ailments, blood impurities
Colostrum (Bovine Colostrums): Bovine colostrum, a rich source of many vitamins like A, E, D and natural immunoglobulin, effectively increasing strength and immunity of the body. Considered as best natural body guard.
Grape seed (Vitis Vinifera): Grape seed extract enhances immunity. Extremely rich in antioxidant properties that protects the blood vessels of getting damaged, which may prevent high blood pressure. Rich in Vitamin E which enhance skin vitality. Reduces edema. Prevent Cognitive decline.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules 2 Times daily, with plain water, after meals.
3. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin capsules consists of standardized extract of organically grown turmeric.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa): It has anti-oxidants which removes free radicals from the body, improving the health and enhancing immunity. It is also a natural antibiotic, effective against many infections and allergies. Provides natural shine and glow to the skin being a wonderful blood purifier.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules 2 Times daily, with plain water, after meals.
4. Gandhak Rasayana
Sulphur purified (Gandhak)
Sulphur element is a commonly heard constituting moisture absorbing property making it a great hydrant, that is helps to generate fresher and younger looking skin.
- Excellent topical exfoliate, which is helpful in removing the dead surface of the skin and reveals the healthy and glowing looking skin from underneath.
- These properties makes it an excellent rejuvenating herb. It is very good in eliminating toxins out of the body.
Dose: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.