AVOID THE FOLLOWING FOOD PRODUCTS
- Sweetened juice, canned fruit in heavy syrup, or other artificially sweetened products.
- Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, and peas should be avoided.
- Refined grains made with white flour such as white bread and pasta, bagels, or white rice. Sugary drinks such as soda or juice.
- Sugary foods such as cookies, cakes, and candy
- Snacks such as potato chips, Lays, Uncle Chips etc.
- Avoid fried foods, go for grilled or roasted or baked products instead.
GO FOR THESE OPTIONS
- Freshly squeezed fruit juices.
- Non–starchy fresh vegetables or frozen/canned vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and carrots.
- Whole grains such as whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and whole wheat bread.
- High fiber cereals such as oats, whole wheat, and All Bran. (Look for cereals that have at least 5 grams of fiber per serving or sprinkle ½ cup of bran cereal or unprocessed bran on a low–fiber cereal to increase the fiber)
- Maintain a daily fiber intake of 25 – 30 gm/ day. Prefer soluble fibers like the ones found in vegetables and fruits.
- Yoghurt is a good option for people who cannot tolerate milk and other dairy products.
- Amla juice – 10 – 20 ml in the morning and in the evening is a good option for everyday detoxification.
- Maintain a healthy weight, diet and exercise regularly as people with PCOS tend to gain weight due to higher levels of insulin in their blood. At least half an hour of exercise for 4 -5 days in a week is mandatory to maintain weight in patients of PCOS.
- Maintain an optimum balance in the carbohydrate, fats and protein ratio, keeping it at 70% Carbs: 25-30% Proteins: 10% Fats.
- Stick to small meals at a time, do not overeat. Always leave a small part of your stomach empty. This helps in better digestion of the food that you eat as well as regulates the weight as well.
- Limit salt intake, maintain an optimum of <2400mg/day. Use lemon, mustard and vinegar to add taste to your food instead of salt.