Kidneys, organ of our body which maintain balance of body fluids. It eliminates organic ions from the body, maintains plasma concentration, and electrolyte balance of the body.
Kidney functions depends on glomerular filtration rate,rate at which there is filtration in the glomeruli of the kidney.
Renal failure occurs due decrease in glomerular filtration rate. Renal failure is characterized by decrease in or absence of urine production or accumulation of waste products (creatinine or urea) in the blood. Depending on the cause, hematuria (loss of blood in the urine) and proteinuria (loss of protein in the urine) may be noted.
RENAL FAILURE - AN AYURVEDIC VIEW
As Ayurveda says, in our body there are two waste materials 'ama' and 'kitta'. Substance 'ama' is formed as a result of undigested/fermented food which is normally formed in an individual. Substance 'Kitta' can be considered as a waste which is removed from the body like sweat, faeces and urine.
Vata, Pitta & Kapha three doshas in our body according to Ayurveda, if working in a synchronized manner it signifies a healthy body system. Vitiated doshas lead to diseased condition of the kidney. If Kaphadosha gets vitiated it causes renal failure as kidney functions are impaired.
Kidneys are made up two dhatus "Rakta" and "Meda". Treatment of these two dhatus is also an effective way to treat the kidneys.
Impairment of ApanaVayu, a type of vayu, causes impaired excretion of urine or urine retention.
Ayurveda explains the cause of this disease that there are minute body channels called srotaswhich gets blocked. Mutravahasrotas, are body channels that carry urine and are responsible for the flow of liquid into and out of the kidneys. In case of obstruction in incoming srotas, the kidneys are denied fluids and results in shrinkage. But in case, if there is obstruction in outgoing channels swelling occurs.
TYPES OF RENAL FAILURE
Acute Renal Failure: is rapid decline in renal function due to obstruction in renal tubes resulting in accumulation of nitrogenous compounds such as urea and creatinine.
It is Characterized by:
- Anuria - No urine output or less than 100ml/24 hours
- Oliguria - n < 500ml urine output/24 hours or < 20mls/hour
It can result from a various causes, generally classified as prerenal, intrinsic, and post renal.
Chronic Renal Failure: Chronic Renal Failure is the slow progressive loss of kidney function over a period of months or year. Filtration rate is less than 60ml/min for 3 months.
CAUSES FOR RENAL FAILURE
- Blockage in arteries.
- Anatomical or physiological abnormalities.
- Birth defects of the kidneys (such as polycystic kidney disease).
- Due to certain drugs or toxic chemicals.
- Autoimmune Disease as systemic lupus erythematous and scleroderma.
- Injury or trauma or infections can cause renal failure.
- Reflux nephropathy (in which the kidneys are damaged by the backward flow of urine into the kidneys).
SYMPTOMS OF RENAL FAILURE
- General feeling of illness, fatigue and headache.
- Dry skin and generalized itching (pruritus).
- Weight loss without trying to lose weight.
- Loss of Appetite.
- Drowsiness and mental confusion.
- Problems occurring while concentrating or thinking.
- Feeling of numbness in the hands, feet, or other areas.
- Twitching or cramps in muscles.
- Feeling of metallic taste or smell of ammonia in the breath.
- Excessive feeling of thirst.
- Frequent hiccups.
- Decrease in Sexual desires and impotence may occur.
- Decline in Menstrual periods (amenorrhea).
- Edema may occur, swelling in feet and hands.
- Vomiting, typically in the morning.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Renal Failure
1. MUTRAKRICHANTAK CHURNA
Ingredients: Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus niruri), Shirish (Albezzia lebbok), Shigru (Moringa oleifera), Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera)
1. Punarnava (Boerhaavia Diffusa)
Punarnava says "puna- nava" means New Again called as 'hogweed'. It is very useful herbal diuretic. It helps to induces micturition as well as relieves pain during micturition.Rejuvenate the dying cells, thus helps to revive the dying organs of the body.
2. Varun (Crataeva Nurvala)
Commonly known as 'Caper'. In Ayurveda used to break down renal stones. It is very effective for obstruction in urinary tract and helps in removing the renal stones.
3. Gokshur (Tribulus Terrestris)
Tribulus terrestris is used as a diuretic. It is sold as a power and stamina enhancer all around the world. It is helpful in clearance of any obstruction in the urinary tract.
4. Kaasni (Cichorium Intybus)
A very common weed and is commonly called 'Chicory'. Gives strength to the kidneys. Kaasni in Ayurveda has useful benefits both in acute and chronic kidney failure
Dose: 1 Tablespoonful once daily, with plain water, after meals or boil 1 tablespoonful powder in 400 ml water, boil it in till the water remains 50 ml, consume once daily. Make fresh every time
2. RENCURE FORMULA
Ingredients: In Rencure Formula: Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Palaash (Butea monosperma), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus).
1. Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa)
Being a natural cleanser helps the kidneys to eliminate the toxins quickly without putting any burden on them, therefore making it an essential herb as alternative treatment of kidney failure.
2. Varun (Crataeva Nurvala)
Useful herb in urinary tract obstructions, kidney failure due to any reasons, accumulation of fluid in the body.
3. Gokshur (Tribulus Terrestris)
It has good use in all kidney problems including decreased urine output due to kidney failure.
4. Palaash (Butea Monosperma)
Also named as "flame of the forest" beautiful red flowered tree is of great use in kidney problems. It makes urine alkaline and is also helpful in relieving painful micturition.
5. Kaasni (Cichorium Intybus)
A very common weed and is commonly called 'Chicory'. Gives strength to the kidneys. Kaasni in Ayurveda has useful benefits both in acute and chronic kidney failure.
Dose: 2 Capsules 2 times daily, after meals, with plain water
3. VARUNADI VATI
Maintains healthy urinary system.
Ingredients: Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul).
Dose: 2 tablets 3 times daily, after meals with plain water
4. TAB. PUNARNAVA MANDUR
Ingredients: Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Chavya (Piper chaba), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Chitrak Mool (Plumbago zeylanica), Mandoor Bhasma (Ferric oxide calx).
Punarnava Mandur acts as an excellent kidney tonic. Punarnava has diuretic properties and increases the renal blood flow. It has astringent, bitter, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Useful in edema, a condition which various body parts get swollen. Acting as a rejuvenator, is used in managing impaired urinary condition.
- This herbal medicine helpful in eliminating toxins accumulated in the joints through kidneys and urine.
Dose: 2 tablets thrice daily, after meals with plain water