Your nails are like Jewels- Don't use them like tools. Nails are very helpful describing the health of a person. Diet of a person plays an important part in the process of nail formation. Consumption of fruits, vegetables to fulfil the basic requirement of vitamins, minerals and enzymes will keep you healthy and your nails will look even, glossy and lustrous.
LETS KNOW ABOUT THE VARIOUS SHAPES AND MARKS ON THE NAILS
HALF MOON ON NAILS
The half-moon formed on the nails is known as the lunula or lunulae is the highly sensitive area of the nail which shouldn't be damaged. It is an extremely important part of the structure of the nail. It looks white because it's the fifth basal layer of the epidermis and it hides the blood vessels beneath it. Lunula is most visible on the thumb but in some people it is not visible at all. A lunula can help in revealing some very important information about a person's health.
- Lack of lunula – Anemia, Malnutrition
- Paler bluish – Diabetes
- Reddish smudges – Cardiovascular disorders
- Small Lunula- Indigestion due to slow metabolism or excessive toxins
- There should be a total of 8 to 10 lunulas on both hands as that indicates good health.
- It should cover 1/5th of the area of the fingernail.
- It should be ivory in color, the whiter the better. The color of the lunula indicates the strength of the person.
- The normal fingernail should be reddish, soft, tough, even and lustrous.
- Lunula or half-moon tells the disease of a person by either changing color or disappearing crescent. Once the person regains his health, lunula will slowly reappear.
- The lesser the lunulas, the lower energy and immunity you’ll have.
- If the lunulas are present just on the thumbs then that indicates insufficient energy and the ailment is about to occur.
RIDGES ON NAILS
Ridges are of various types :-
- Vertical ridges
- Pits and grooves which run from side to side known as beau’s lines. Vertical ridges are harmless.
- They can be an indication of a nail injury or a health issue.
- These ridges feel and look like raised lines and run from the cuticle at the base of the nail to the tip. Ridges are not a sign of any disorder or injury and are usually signs of aging.
- If ridges are accompanied by brittle nails, jagged edges or chipping, you might be suffering from a condition known as Onyhorrhexis which is basically brittle nails. This may be linked to a skin disorder, Lichen planus which is a non-infectious skin rash. Apart from that, there are other disorders which might cause ridges like; Anemia or an underactive thyroid gland.
- Horizontal ridges are signs of health issues.
WHITE SPOTS ON NAILS
- The white spots on the nails are not caused only by Calcium deficiency.
- These white marks on the nails are known as leukonychia and is a very common condition.
- These white marks also occur when you hit the base or matrix of your nails. It takes around 8 months for a nail to completely grow. When you see these spots on the tip of your nail(s), that means that the injury had occurred on your nails about 4 – 5 months ago.
- These marks can be a sign of allergic reaction to nail products.
- These spots are temporary and grow out gradually.
- But, at times the change in the appearance of your nails might indicate an underlying disease. Nails that turn totally white, for example, can indicate liver disease, but by the time this happens, you probably would have other symptoms.