In Leukodystrophy 'Leuko' means white, and 'dystrophy' means imperfect growth. Leukodystrophy is rare genetic metabolic disorder that refers to group of conditions effecting the white matter of the brain and the spinal cord because of imperfect growth or development of the myelin sheath, a fatty covering which is acting as an insulator around nerve fiber and gives its color to the white matter of the brain.
Leukodystrophy are typically progressive conditions, means getting worse over time.
In Leukodystrophy, myelin may be decreased or lacking, and normal myelination may not be achieved and the myelin that is formed may break down.
For getting relief from this condition Herbal Remedy for Leukodystrophy is available
TYPES OF LEUKODYSTROPHY
Some of different types of Leukodystrophy include:
- Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) - It is more common of the leukodystrophies. Typically, only affects boys as it is an X-linked gene. The adrenal glands too may be affected, means enough cortisone is not produced. Female carriers of the gene may show alike, but usually much milder, symptoms
- Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) - Another common Leukodystrophy, related to the age when symptoms appear - for example, late infantile MLD, juvenile MLD and adult MLD.
- Canavan's disease (Spongy degeneration) - There occurs abnormal myelin growth. Limited Life expectancy.
- Krabbe disease (Globoid Leukodystrophy) - In this myelin of the central and peripheral nervous systems get effected. About 90 per cent affected are babies, and symptoms usually show up before they are six months old. There is also a rare adult form.
WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSES OF LEUKODYSTROPHY?
Cause for every type of Leukodystrophy is specific gene abnormality that leads to abnormal development or destruction of the white matter (myelin sheath) of the brain.
Most of leukodystrophies are inherited from parent to child, though some may develop in people without a family history.
A family history of Leukodystrophy might increase your chance of Leukodystrophy.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF LEUKODYSTROPHY?
Sometimes the disease does not affect people till their school-age or even young adults.
Symptoms of Leukodystrophy may include:
- There starts gradual drop in health of an infant or child who were well earlier.
- Muscle tone is either lost or increase.
- Change in movements.
- Seizures may occur.
- Eye movements become Abnormal.
- Walking pattern changes.
- Loss of the ability to eat.
- Loss of hearing.
- Loss of speech.
- Loss of vision.
- Change in behavior.
- Mental and physical development may slowdown.
Some Leukodystrophies may involve other organ systems which can cause:
- Liver and spleen may get enlarged.
- Heart disease.
- Development of Skeletal abnormalities, like short stature, coarse facial appearance, and joint stiffness.
- Respiratory disease leading to breathing problems.
- Bronzing of the skin.
- Cholesterol nodules to form on tendons.
Ayurveda can provide relief from symptoms as Herbal Remedy for Leukodystrophy is there.
AYURVEDIC REMEDY FOR LEUKODYSTROPHY?
Planet Ayurveda has many Herbal Remedies for Leukodystrophy which bring relief to the patient. Few of them are given here.
HERBAL REMEDY FOR LEUKODYSTROPHY
Ashwagandha capsules, are herbal formulation that has good effects in debilitating conditions, stress, fatigue, anxiety, palpitation, ageing, nervous breakdown, and neuropathy due to diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, loss of weight due to cancer or diabetes or any other reason. It's prepared by using standardized extract of Herb Ashwagandha. This is a good Herbal Remedy for Leukodystrophy.
Consistent use of Ashwagandha capsules strengthen back and relax the muscles and calm down the system. It acts as nervine tonic, boosts physical as well as mental stamina. Both growing children, as well as old age people can have it.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.
2. Brahmi Capsules:
Brahmi capsules of Planet Ayurveda maintain healthy brain. Theses capsules formed with standardized extract of brahmi. These capsules are good to improve intellect, memory, and predominantly retention power.
It can also be used for vertigo, anxiety, stress, blood pressure and as a potent nervine tonic and is anti-anxiety agent. This Herbal Remedy for Leukodystrophy provides great relief.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): Brahmi is one of the ancient potent brain tonic. It is wonderful anti-oxidant, nervine tonic, it rejuvenates mind, boosts memory, and expands concentration and quality of consciousness.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.
3. Medhya Churna:
Medhya Churna is a pure natural preparation that has ability to maintain a healthy mind and supports healthy brain of people of all ages because of its rejuvenating property. Amazingly improves the memory, increases the period of concentration, lowers the anxieties, and elevates your confidence and recollecting things. This herbal formulation is prepared by combining certain pure herbs with amazing healthy properties. It's a great Herbal Remedy for Leukodystrophy.
Herbs used are:
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis): This Ayurvedic herb has the capacity to increase the retaining and remembering power of the brain.
It is a good reliever of stress and anxiety. Used in nervous disorders and mental disorders.
- Vacha (Acorus calamus): It is helpful in speech disorders, enhancing speaking abilities and coordination.
Other herbs are:
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pipali (Piper longum)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum)
- Shwet jeerak (Cuminum cyminum)
- Krishna jeerak (Carum carvi)
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnierri)
All the Herbs used in the formulation of Medhya churna have amazing properties.
Dose: 1 tsp twice daily with milk or water.
This product is prepared by combining herbs and minerals that work together to pacify all the three energies of the body- vata, pitta and Kapha. It is a good supplement for better healthy living.
Herbs and Minerals are:
- Shudh Parad (Mercury) purified
- Shudh Gandhaka (Sulphur) purified
- Lauh Bhasm (Iron) calcined
- Abhraka bhasma (Mica)
- Tamra Bhasma (Copper) purified
- Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officianalis)
- Shudha Shilajatu (Asphaltum)
- Shuddh Guggul (Commiphora mukul) purified
- Chitraka moola (Plumbago zeylancia)
- Katuka (Picorrhiza kurro)
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily, after meals with plain water.
This herbal product helps to balance psychic energies (Satva, Rajas and Tamas) and the three doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in body that makes it ability to maintain healthy metabolism, healthy blood circulation and healthy brain. It is formed by the use of pure extract of Gotukola (Centella asiatica).
It is capable to work against anxiety, stress, mood disorders and depression, improving microcirculation in glands for retaining the balance of hormones.
Dose: 1 to 2 capsules twice daily after half an hour of meal with plain water.