Psoriasis an inflammatory, noninfectious, auto immune disease of skin Characterized by symmetrical, erythematous, scaling papules and plaque. As per Ayurveda it is caused due to the vitiation of vata and kapha which gets accumulated in the skin and deeper tissues producingtoxins. It is classified as Ekakushtha type of Shudrakushtha.
Psoriasis is not contagious. It may start at any age but is rare under 10 years and commonest between 15 and 40.
SIX TYPES OF PSORIASIS:
- Plaque psoriasis - Patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale
- Psoriatic arthritis – associated with inflammation of the joints.
- Guttate psoriasis - associated with Small, red spots on the skin
- Pustular psoriasis - associated with White pustules surrounded by red skin
- Inverse psoriasis - associated with Smooth, red lesions formed in skin folds
- Erythrodermic psoriasis - associated with redness, severe itching, and pain
- Over Active T cells triggering immune response.
- Infections, such as strep throat or skin infections
- Injury to the skin, such as a cut or scrape, bug bite, or a severe sunburn
- Cold weather
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Certain medications - including lithium, which is prescribed for bipolar disorder; high blood pressure medications such as beta blockers; antimalarial drugs; and iodides.
- Pink red lesions
- Sharply demarcated papules
- Rounded plaques
- Silvery scales
- Commonly seen at elbows, knees, gluteal cleft and scalp.
- Patient may suffer from psoriatic arthritis
- Finger nail involvement can be seen in half of the cases like punctuate pitting
- Onycholysis-seperation of the nail from nail bed
- Subungual hyperkeratosis
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PSORIASIS
THE AIM OF AYURVEDIC TREATMENT IS:
- Purification of blood and tissues
- Toxin cleansing
- Digestion restoration to avoid further accumulation of toxins
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR PSORIASIS
Planet Ayurveda offers a Psoriasis care Pack which is a combination of ayurvedic herbs which have been proven to show excellent results in Psoriasis patients. The combination of these herbal supplements for psoriasis offered here give relief from itching and helps in clearing the psoriasis scales, the skin becomes smoother and the shine and normal texture is restored within few months (3-4 months) of using these natural remedies for psoriasis.
THE PACK CONTAINS:
Neem Capsules1 cap twice daily with plain water after meal
BEST EFFECTIVE HERBAL FORMULA FOR DETOXIFICATION1 tsp. once daily with plain water after meal
Amla, Haritaki, Bahera, Vacha, Neem, Manjistha, Katuki, Giloy, Daruhaldi etc.
Kishore Guggul2 tab twice daily with plain water after meal
Tinospora cordifolia, Zingiber officinale, Emblica officinalis, Piper nigrum etc.
Radiant Skin Hair Nails Capsules
FOR HEALTHY RADIANT SKIN, HAIR AND NAILS2 cap twice daily with plain water after meal
Manjishtha, Pitt Papda,Ghrit Kumari etc.
Radiant Skin LotionMassage gently on the affected part while bathing
It keep skin hydrated and provides antioxidants externally which gets absorbed in the skin, reduces the patch scales and roughness.
How to apply - Apply regularly morning and evening
Green Tea Algae Aloevera Gel Scrub
Green Tea-Algae Aloe Vera Gel Scrub is very effective and result giving in skin conditions like psoriasis. This is used as a bathing soap. Its antioxidants ingredients removes impurities out of the skin and provide healthy glowing & hydrated skin. Effective in dry and patchy skin conditions.
How to use – Massage gently on the affected part while bathing.
Product quantity is as per dosage required by adults – for patients under age 14 – this quantity will last for 2 months
KEY HERBS AND THEIR HEALTH BENEFITS IN OUR BODY
- It is Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, antifungal and antibacterial in nature.
- It is a natural steroid which helps in reducing skin itching, swelling and irritation.
- It contains Nimbidin which possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis properties helpful in psoriasis condition like skin inflammation, reduces swelling, redness of psoriasis flakes & cleansing of liver.
- Regular consumption of neem capsules can help in reducing acid output and acid reflux
- Effective for skin problems.
- Helps to clear scars, It’s the best blood purifier available in natural form
- Regular use cleans the skin and brings back the glow.
- Relieves itching and pain, while reducing the scale and redness of lesions in Psoriasis.
GILOY (TINOSPORA CORDIFOLIA)
- Useful to correct the metabolism, which is vitiated in any of skin diseases.
- Has the ability to boost immunity.
- Acts as a rejuvenating agent
- Contains antioxidant properties that improve health and fight dangerous diseases.
- Removes toxins from the kidneys and the liver and flush out free radicals.Very helpful in liver diseases and urinary tract infections too
GINGER (ZINGIBER OFFICINALE)
Contains compounds called gingerols that offer free-radical protection, it helps in aampachan hence improving the metabolism, which is necessary to prevent the reoccurrence of disease.
Ithas anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties to help unclog pores and kill bacteria.Renew the production of new skin cells.
AMLA (EMBLICA OFFICINALIS)
The fruit is one of the richest natural sources of vitamin C, has antioxidant effects , best rejuvenative tonics (rasayana), increases immunity or ojas, hepatoprotective, lowers cholesterol, anti inflammatory, laxative, diuretic, and hypoglycemic, healing properties of Amalaki extend to all tissues (dhatus) pacifies all three doshas particularly Pitta and Vata.
Amalaki has ascorbic acid, fatty acids, bio-flavonoids, polyphenols, cytokinins, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, iron, tannins, and pectin.
MARICHA (PIPER NIGRUM)
Piperine present in black pepper stimulates the taste buds to signal the stomach to produce more hydrochloric acid. This acid is essential to digest proteins and other foods in the stomach, which if left undigested causing flatulence, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation and acidity. The excess hydrochloric acid secreted helps in preventing this conditions.
Black pepper is great in aiding the proper assimilation (extraction of all the nutrients) of food.
Useful for removal of Amadosha -toxins, sticked to the Srotasas (channels), enhances the process of digestion, helps in sweating hence removal of all the toxins from body.
One amongst best Deepana Pachana herbs.
Also called Triphala. Well known detoxifying Ayurveda formulation which removes all the toxins and rejuvenates all the systems of body.
VACHA (ACORUS CALAMUS)
Vacha stimulates the skin and induces sweating. This make Vacha an important herb for this skin diseases.
KATUKI (PICRORRHIZA KURROA)
- Stimulates liver
- Ensures proper secretion of bile juices hence keeping the skin healthy.
DARUHALDI (BERBERIS ARISTATA)
It has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective and antioxidant property.
MANJISHTHA (RUBIA CORDIFOLIA)
Cleanse the blood; nourishes the skin; detoxifies the body.
PITT PAPDA (FUMARIA OFFICINALIS)
Mitigatekapha and pitta.Enhances the metabolism, reduces itching and burning sensation, has blood-purifier and diuretic properties hence helpful in skin disorders.
CHIRETTA (SWERTIA CHIRETA)
It has a powerful anti oxidant action, provides relief from itching, burning sensation and skin rash.It has anAnti-inflammatory and anti-viral action, acts as a liver tonic.
ALOE VERA (GHRIT KUMARI)
It has alion, isobarbaloin, and emodin. Gum resin contains anthraquinone derivatives like emodin and chrysophanic acid. Whole leaf contains uronic acid. Pulp contains uronic acid, oxidase, catalase and sugars. Pulp contains glucoside, barbaloin, b- barbaloin and aloe-emodin. It penetrates up to the 7 layers of tissue and anesthesia tissue relieving joint and musculature pain.
It is a blood alkalinize. Has antibacterial, anti-fungicidal and antiviral properties. It is a natural cleanser and detoxifier, dilates the blood capillaries, and increases the blood circulation. The gel is used for acceleration of wound healing; epithelialization of skin burns and moisturizing dry skin, regenerates hair follicles and heals seborrhea.
The transparent gel that is found inside its leaf is used as a treatment in burns, injuries and solar erythema. Internally heals peptic ulcers, used in prevention and for treatment of many gastric disorders. Large dose of juice is laxative. It breaks down and digests dead tissue and enhances normal cell growth and hastens healing. It acts as an antipruritic and stops itching.
Foods to avoid because they have been shown to cause or increase inflammation:
Avoid oily and fried foods, Tea, Fatty red meats, Dairy products, processed foods, refined sugars, Nightshade vegetables, including potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.
FOODS TO INCLUDE
Foods to include in your diet that have been shown to reduce inflammation:
- Flaxseeds, olive oil, pumpkin seeds and walnuts. These are plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Colorful fresh fruits and vegetables. Like Carrots, Squash , radish leaves, onions, tomatoes, guavas, papaya, and sweet potatoes, Spinach, Kale and broccoli, Blueberries, Ripened Mangoes, Strawberries
- Juices carrot juice 1 part, beetroot juice 2 parts half part cucumber juice should be mixed and taken.
- Pomegranate leaves poultice should be applied on the affected area.
- Juice of Bathua should be squeezed and taken daily.
- Leaves of bathua can be boiled and can be used for washing the affected part.Bathua leaves should be grounded and mixed with sesame oil in the ratio of 2: ½, heat it on lo flame until water portion is evaporated, it should be applied on the affected part.
- Grind banana pulp and add lemon juice to it and apply over the affected area.
- Application of Papaya juice over the affected part is also beneficial.
- Burn garlic cloves in to ash, mix it with honey, and apply over the affected area.
- Application of turmeric paste 3 times a day and once at night helps in healing.
- Grind black pepper mix with clarified salt less butter made fromcow’s milk should be taken internally.
- Apply the paste of neem leaves in curd over the affected area.
- Eat leaves of basil daily and also grind some; leaves and apply over the affected area.
- Tender leaves of jackfruit should applied after grinding over the affected area.