It might sound strange imagining waking one morning and your ear pressed to your shoulder leading to pain and that is not under your control which can be a disturbing situation for an individual. These conditions are rare but hard situation for one going through this.
Torticollis is such a condition that means 'twisted neck. 'Cervical dystonia, or spasmodic torticollis is a neurological disorder which is characterized by abnormal movements and awkward posture of the head and neck due to involuntary contracting of neck muscles. These movements may be constant ('tonic'), jerky ('clonic'), or a combination. Spasms in the muscles or pinched nerves in the neck can result in considerable pain and discomfort. Cervical dystonia may be primary or secondary.
It can be congenital or acquired.
Such to-and-fro movements of the head can be equal (as in a tremor) or unequal (i.e. rapid clonic movements of the head and neck with slow recovery, termed spasmodic).
What can be the Causes of Cervical Dystonia?
The cause of Cervical Dystonia is exactly not clear.
Belief is that it may be due to abnormal working of the basal ganglia that is involved to control movements but the reason is still unknown.
Other reasons for Cervical Dystonia may be little sprain or irritation of a muscle or ligament in the neck which can be the results of:
- Inadequate support to neck because of unusual Sitting or sleeping posture.
- When certain muscles of neck are exposed to cold.
- Improper Posture
- Poor posture when gazing at a computer screen.
- Carrying heavyweight unbalanced loads.
- Some drugs may be trigger factor for cervical dystonia as antipsychotic or anti-nausea agents.
However it may have secondary causes such as physical trauma.
It can be with or without family history.
What Symptoms reveal Cervical Dystonia?
Symptoms may begin slowly and can vary from mild to severe.
- The symptoms involve abnormal involuntary movement of the neck.
- These result in twisting of head and neck (torticollis) or to be pulled forwards (Antercollis), backwards (Retrocollis), or sideways (Laterocollis)
- The spasm of muscles may result in pain and discomfort and neck become stiff.
- One shoulder higher than the other.
- Numbness or tingling sensations may be felt in the arm or hand.
- Swollen neck muscles.
- Chin get a tilted to one side.
These may get worse with stress and symptoms can cause difficulty in daily activities like sitting, standing, walking, or eating.
In congenital cases Children's face appear flattened and unbalanced and may also have delayed motor skill or feel difficulties with hearing and vision.
Ayurvedic View for Cervical Dystonia
Cervical dystonia in Ayurveda can be compared to Manya stambh where stiffness in neck region occurs and vata is considered responsible for this condition.
Lifestyle in Case of Cervical Dystonia
- Avoiding situations that cause stress or anxiety
- Get good sleep
- Heat packs may help to relieve pain
- Try touching the opposite side of your face or the back of your head.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cervical Dystonia
Ayurveda Intervention supports to treat this painful disorder through herbal Remedies available in Planet Ayurveda.
Planet Ayurveda's Herbal Remedies for Cervical Dystonia
These are herbal capsules that are prepared using standardized extracts of two natural herbs that aid to support the overall health of bones and joints of the individuals.
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrata)
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
DOSE - 2 capsules two times daily.
This herbal formulation supports healthy muscles and joints. It is one of the useful herbal remedy for Cervical Dystonia. Commiphora mukul is a very powerful unique anti-inflammatory herb and is very effective.
Each Tablet is 500 mg. Main Ingredients are:-
- Commiphora mukul,
- Cyperus rotundus,
- Plumbago zeylanica,
- Emblica officinalis,
- Terminalia bellirica,
- Terminalia chebula,
- Piper longum,
- Carum copticum,
- Embelia ribes,
- Tribulus terrestris,
- Nigella sativa,
- Trachyspermum roxburghianum,
- Cuminum cyminum,
- Piper cubeba,
- Elettaria cardamomum,
- Pluchea lanceolata,
- Rock salt,
- Coriandrum sativum,
- Zingiber officinale,
- Piper nigrum,
- Cinnamomum zeylanica,
- Vetiveria zizanioides,
- Abies webbiana,
- Cinnamomum tamala
Ref. Ayurvedic Text - Bh. Ratnavali / Chapter of Rheumatism
These tablets are formed with combination of various amazing herbs that work synergistically to treat that symptoms of Cervical Dystonia. These herbs provide support to various organs of the body. These are helpful in maintaining balance between of Vata energy of the body.
DOSE - Two tablets twice daily after meals.
This herbal powder helps to eliminate the "Ama" of the body. This churna pacifies vata.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is adaptogenic, relieves anxiety and stress. It is also an effective anti-inflammatory and relieves the joint pain naturally. It has been used in Ayurveda for 'Vata and Kapha' disorders.
- Methi - Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum): According to Ayurveda, "Aama" & "Vata" are responsible for causing problems in the joints and severe joint pains. Useful herb to control pain due to 'Vata and reduces inflammation.
- Suranjan - Automn Crocus (Colchicum automnale):
This herb is good in decreasing uric acid production. It promotes the reduction in the pain and inflammation in the joints naturally.
- Gorakhmundi (Rice Field Weed): Gorakhmundi regularizing the uric acid metabolism. This plant can also help to care of weak vital power, gas problems, enlargement of spleen as well as painful joints. It is useful in cleansing the system.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa):
Haridra is Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Antioxidant and Immunity booster properties help to reduce pain, tenderness, inflammation of the joints and therefore give relief.
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale): Commonly called as 'Dry Ginger' is a detoxifying herb. It is a potent pain killer as well as anti-inflammatory herb.
These herbs have a lot of medicinal properties. These are antiseptic, antibiotic and having analgesic properties.
DOSE - 1 teaspoon daily with water or Aloe Vera Juice.