Eyes are the organs of the visual system and provide the ability to see things. It is said that, 'The eyes are the windows of the soul'. Eyes are really sensitive and eye disorders can be very discomforting and avoid any sort of disorders we need to maintain our eye hygiene and avoid any kind of unhygienic habits. It's not very tough to maintain eye health but we tend to avoid those things and this ignorance leads to very serious disorders which can be very difficult to treat. One disorder we'll talk about today is Keratoconus.
WHAT IS KERATOCONUS?
Keratoconus is a genetic disorder which increases with time and it is an uncommon disorder which affects the cornea and starts thinning it. This thinning might result in blurred vision, astigmatism and light sensitivity. The cornea takes the shape of a cone in this disorder. The ability to see is when light enters through the cornea and it refracts the rays of light to form a clear image but in Keratoconus, the appearance of cornea is modified which distorts the ability to see.
KNOW ABOUT THE SYMPTOMS OF KERATOCONUS
- Various ghost images
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty in reading, driving.
- Eye strain
- Distorted eyesight
- Frequent changes in the vision power
- Inability to wear contacts
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF KERATOCONUS?
- The cause is still unknown but it can be due to genetic factors.
- A few eye disorders like retinitis pigmentosa, keratoconjunctivitis etc.
- Some allergies like asthma, eczema also play a role in promoting Keratoconus.
- Excessive exposure to UV rays and eye irritation.
KERATOCONUS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
Ayurveda is a well-known science of holistic healing. It is based on three doshas which are Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Vata [Air]: The sites of Vata are colon, thighs, hips, ears, bones and organ of touch.
Main site: Colon
Pitta [Fire]: The sites of Pitta are small intestine, stomach, sweat, sebaceous glands, blood, lymph and the organ of vision.
Main site: Small intestine.
Kapha [Water]: The sites of Kapha are chest, throat, head, pancreas, stomach, lymph, fat, nose and tongue.
Main site: Stomach.
As Pitta also stays in eyes apart from other organs, if Pitta gets vitiated it disturbs the eyes also.
CAUSES OF EYE DISORDERS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
- The three doshas help the body to function normally but when they’re imbalanced they lead to diseases. There are a particular group of factors which are responsible for vitiation of doshas in the eye.
- Due to certain changes in the temperature the eyes tolerate lot of strain that causes a lot of strain.
- Changes in sleeping patterns disturb the biorhythm which strain the eyes that cause eye disorders
- Excessive stress, crying, anger vitiate
- Vata which cause ocular disorder.
- Traumatic injuries also cause eye disorders.
- Excessive sexual indulgence.
- Excessive consumption of sour foods lead to increase of vitiated pitta which cause eye disorder.
- Controlling natural urges like urine, feces, tears, appetite, thirst, sleep etc. may be a reason for eye disorders.
- Excess steam baths.
- Excessive smoking, alcohol, environmental pollution.
- People working in the field of microscopy, diamond cutting, x-ray welding etc. are more prone to eye disorders.
- People who work in front of computers, televisions have more chances of eye disorders.
- Reading in an incorrect posture, reading in moving vehicles.
HERBAL TREATMENT FOR KERATOCONUS
Pitta Balance is an herbal product that has been prepared to reduce the Pitta dosha of the body and provides cooling effects.
- Praval Pishti (Coral Calcium): Praval Pishti is prepared from coral and it is completely absorbable by the body
- Akik Pishti (Agate Calcium): It is herbal compound to balance the pitta
- Jahar Mohra Pishti (Calcium compound): It is a cooling agent. It balances pitta.
- Kamdhudha Ras (Calcium compound): It is helpful in various pitta disorders.
- Mukta Pishti (Pearl Calcium): It is prepared from pearls having pitta pacifying properties.
- Giloy Satva (Tinospora cordifolia): It’s an herbal extract of Tinospora cordifolia. It is helpful in removal of extra toxins from body.
These ingredients help in improving digestion and relieving bloating and flatulence. It boosts immunity and acts as a coolant and soothes and strengthens the digestive system. It reduces gastric inflammation and also balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It cures bleeding disorders. This amazing herbal formulation also helps in calming mental actions like anger, stress, frustrations.
DOSAGE: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals
2. ANGEL EYE VITALE
Angel Eye Vitale is an Ayurvedic preparation for that brings wonderful results in problems of eye. It is basically herbal formulation rich with minerals and vitamins which give good effects on eyes. All elements present in this herbal product contribute to proper nutrition to the eyes.
DOSAGE: 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
3. BILBERRY CAPSULES
Bilberry Capsules are Ayurvedic natural capsules in Planet Ayurveda which have anti-oxidant property. This herbal product provides nutrition required for eyes. It has wonderful effect on eyes.
Bilberry [Vaccinium myrtillus]: Bilberry is an herb that help in enhancing the positive effects in eye defects like myopia, night blindness, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, Keratoconus problems and cataract. It is rich in vitamin A, C, E, and K, magnesium, zinc and iron. It has super high antioxidant levels and also immunity booster properties.
DOSAGE: 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
Amalaki rasayana is an amazing Ayurvedic formulation that acts as a rejuvenator and revitalizer. Amalaki Rasayana can cure the eye ailments. It has the property to calm the imbalanced pitta dosha and beneficial for the patients of myopia and Keratoconus disorders.
Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
DOSAGE: 2 capsule twice daily after meals.
5. AMLA SAAR
It is a juice of Indian Gooseberry. Which makes it very best herbal formulation as per Ayurveda for improving and enhances the eyesight. It has antioxidant properties which helps to remove toxins from body.
Amla [Emblica officinalis]: Amla is one of the richest source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the best anti- oxidant as an anti - ageing supplement. It is very good for eye diseases like Keratoconus problems.
DOSAGE: Mix equal amount of Amla Saar and water and consume it twice in a day.