Hyperthyroidism or Thyrotoxicosis is a condition in which a thyroid gland secretes excess hormones called thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronineT3. The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of neck. It produces tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), which are two primary hormones that control how body cells use energy. Thyroid gland regulates metabolism through the release of these hormones.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid makes too much T4, T3, or both. This condition is commonly seen more in women between 30-50 yrs.
According to Ayurveda, Hyperthyroidism is caused due to impaired digestion of food which in turn impairs vayu and pitta leading to blockage of the minute channels in the body causing an imbalance in the function of the thyroid gland and cause the symptoms mentioned below.
- Visibly, the thyroid gland itself can swell into a goiter, which can be either symmetrical or one-sided. Eyes may also appear quite prominent, which is a sign of EXOPHTHALMOS, a condition that’s related to Graves’ disease.
- Weight Loss
- Rapid Pulse
- Elevated Blood Pressure
- Test for thyroid hormone (T4 and T3) in blood.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone level test.
- Triglyceride Level Test: low triglycerides can be a sign of an elevated metabolic rate.
- Thyroid scan and ultra sound.
- CT or MRI scans: show if a pituitary tumor is present that’s causing the condition
- Graves' disease, an autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. It causes antibodies to stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone. Graves’ disease occurs more often in women than in men. It tends to run in families, which suggests a genetic link.
- Thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid
- Tumors of the ovaries or testes
- Benign Tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland
- Large amounts of tetraiodothyronine taken through dietary supplements or medication
- Person Becomes Thin
- Irritable- Slightest Remark May Set Off An Inappropriately Angry Response
- Hyper Metabolic State
- Rapid Heart Rate And Palpitations
- Shallow Respiration
- Frequent Motions
- Het Intolerance
- Menstrual Disturbance In Females
- Exophthalmos-Protruding Eyes, As If Person Is Staring Others
- People Suffer from Paradoxical Condition i.e They Feel Fatigue and Lack of Energy.
- Increased Appetite
- Inability To Concentrate
- Irregular Heartbeat
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Fine, Brittle Hair
- Hair Loss
- Nausea And Vomiting
- Breast Development In Men
- Shortness Of Breath
- Loss Of Consciousness
Hyperthyroidism can also cause atrial fibrillation, a dangerous arrhythmia that can lead to strokes, as well as congestive heart failure.
HERBS IN AYURVEDA THAT HELP IN HYPERTHYROIDISM
Planet Ayurveda provides HYPERTHYROID CARE PACK which offers good management for this disease. In other system of treatment patient becomes medication dependent and have to continuously take the medicine throughout their life. Planet Ayurveda is a ray of hope for such patients who want to control it naturally with herbs.
The incidence of Hyperthyroidism is increasing day by day, and there is increased demand to manage the disease through the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Hyperthyroidism can be managed effectively if we understand the disease condition and exact etiology of the disease and select the proper herbs, accordingly.
Ayurvedic treatment for hyperthyroidism aims to control its symptoms and prevent them from getting severe. Ayurveda strives to cure the root cause or pathology of hyperthyroidism i.e., Grave's disease. The first line of Ayurvedic treatment in such conditions is to clear these channels in order to balance body energies and restore the correct production and circulation of hormones.
1. IMMUNE MAGIC:
Each immune magic capsule contains the combination of four herbs. These herbs include - Grape seed (Vitis vinifera) offers superior free radical antioxidant protection for the whole body, but in particular, the arteries & blood vessels, and the brain which helps in alleviating the fatigue. Cow colostrums (Bovine coloustrums) boosts immunity & improves mood and sense of well-being. Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri) promotes healthy digestion, works as a health tonic, enhances the healthy functioning of the liver, has certain anti-inflammatory properties, which prevents, swelling, pain, and removes imbalances. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) have lot of antioxidant properties, it detoxify the liver, supports healthy functioning of immune system.
2. WEIGHT GAIN FORMULA:
Weight loss is common in hyperthyroidism. To maintain healthy weight of the body, weight gain formula capsules are there from the house. This product is made with the special combination of herbs that are effective in maintaining healthy weight. Ashwagandha herb has a holistic effect on the body, a very good adaptogen i.e. someone could take ashwagandha to support a sluggish thyroid but another person could take it to support an overactive thyroid as well, regulates secretion of thyroid hormone. Ashwaganda is an effective endocrine system modulator and its Herbal extracts cause the secretion of more T4 or T3.
Its antioxidant property helps in associated symptoms like nervousness, agitation and with its anti-inflammatory properties helps to promote overall well-being of the body and nourishes tissues.
Vidang, with their anti-inflammatory properties are used to manage inflammation of the Thyroid Gland. Haritaki, Bhibhitaki, Amalaki (Triphla or Myrobalans) an anti-oxidant and digestive aid that tones and cleanse the bowel.
According to Ayurveda, Hyperthyroidism is caused due to impaired digestion of food, certain herbs like Saunf (fennel seeds) Pippali and Zeerak work on Agni, are very good aam pachak, Increase digestion, treats manda agni reduces Vata Nervous System disorders (anxiety, fear, worry, etc). They contain volatile essential oil compounds that promote digestion by stimulating the secretion of gastric and digestive juices. These compounds aid in the better absorption of nutrients by body.
In females the trio combination helps in reliving menstrual cramps and other premenstrual symptoms.
3. SHATAVARI CAPSULES:
It is made using the pure and standardized extract of Shatavari herb. It helps in normalizing irregular menstrual flow, relives fatigue, improves immunity, and helps to maintain healthy functioning of thyroid. It supports healthy weight too.
- Immune Magic - 2 cap, twice daily, with plain water, after meals
- Weight Gain Formula - 2 cap, twice daily, with plain water, after meals
- Shatavari Capsules - 2 cap, twice daily, with plain water, after meals
Vishuddhi chakra or the psychic center is related to thyroid, this chakra in its normalcy purifies the poison of the body. Thyroid gland can function as an efficient purifier if it functions in harmony with the body's needs, balancing anabolism and catabolism. Following Asanas should be performed in the given order:
Sarvangasana – Shoulder stand, the most well recognized and most powerful posture asana for the thyroid gland, it places enormous pressure on the gland, improving its circulation and squeezing out the stagnant secretions.
Matasyaasna – Halasana, Pashinee mudra, padma sarvansana, are the other asanas which if practiced regularly gives a positive influence on the thyroid gland functioning.
Viparit karni mudra followed by ujjai pranayam, surya namaskara, pawanmuktasasna, yoga mudra, sputa vajrasaan, all backward bending asana, sirshpadaasna, simhasasna, grivasana, khandarasana,
Nadi shodhana pranayam – Useful in balancing metabolism through its effect on ida and pingla.
Sheetali and sheetkari pranayama relaxes the hyperactive thyroid controls the hyper metabolic rate and overheated body.
Jalandhara bandha-puts pressure on thyroid area, and all pranayamas should be practiced in this mudra.
Studies shows that long term suppression and blockage of emotional expression precipitates the thyroid imbalance. Emotional relaxation through music therapy, venting out, past life regression therapy (PLR) and chanting mantras are found to be helpful in relaxing emotions.
- Mix equal quantities of long pepper (Pipali), black pepper and dry ginger powder. Consume half teaspoon twice a day with lukewarm water.
- The paste of Dandelion Leaves along with clarified butter, made in to lukewarm paste, should be applied to the swollen area of the neck. Leave it for 20 minutes. Doing it daily for two weeks is efficient in managing goiter
- Flax Seeds – These have anti-inflammatory properties Make a thick paste by mixing two tbsp. of crushed flax seeds with equal amount of water. Apply it on the throat.
- Herbal tea with ginger is additionally helpful for Hyperthyroidism functioning.
- Consuming Siberian Ginseng helps to nourish the thymus glands and supports thyroid health.
- Mulethi (licorice) 2 parts + 1 part black pepper daily, chew 3 times a day.
- Regular consumption of coconut oil added to milk, with two spoons being added to a cup of milk.
- Boil 10 gm of coriander seeds in a glass of water, and allow it to cool. Strain the mixture and take twice a day.
- Chew 3 to 4 raw garlic cloves in the morning.
- Crush a handful of sorrel leaves to make a paste. Mix them with olive oil. Lie down otherwise the paste will fall off after application. Apply to neck and leave on 15-20 minutes. Rinse with water and pat dry. Repeat daily.
- Well-balanced diet should be taken.
- Have lots of vegetables, such as cabbages, kale, mustard greens and Brussels sprouts broccoli, turnips, spinach, Watercress and radishes to lower the chances of hyperthyroidism. These veggies can reduce the over activity of the thyroid gland.
- Salads made out of sprouts, cucumber and carrot
- Barley and oats, whole wheat
- Fruits, such as pears and peaches
- Water reed and lotus stem is additionally helpful for Hyperthyroidism
- Food rich in Vitamin A such as pumpkin, green leafy vegetables and carrots
- Walnut it is rich in iodine and magnesium
- Diet may consist of fruits juices such as apple, grapes and pineapples.
- Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine iodized salts, sea foods, red meat, dairy products nicotine and alcohol.
- Food items containing preservatives, white flour products and stuffs high on sugar Cakes, pastries, sweets and other calorie rich items.