Gout is known as the rich man's disease. Gout is a painful metabolic disease resulting in inflammation and the deposition of uric acid in the cartilages of the joints. Gout first affects the big toe causing it to swell and become very painful. In the next stages it spreads to the ankles, knees, joints of hands and feet, the wrist and elbow. Elevated concentrations of uric acid in the blood stream provokes an inflammatory reaction of tissues. These deposits can often increase in size and burst through the skin to form sinuses discharging a chalky white material.
Hyperuricemia is the underlying cause of gout. This can occur for a number of reasons including diet, genetic predisposition, or under excretion of urate, the salts of uric acid. Chemicals called purines are found naturally in our body as well as in food when breaks down in the body, it produces uric acid. Normally, uric acid is excreted through the urine via the kidneys. But if uric acid is produced in excess or body is not excreting enough uric acid, it starts accumulating in the body especially small joints or surrounding tissues, in the form of crystals causing pain, inflammation and swelling.
Excessive anger, waking up late in the night, sleeping in the daytime, excessive travelling, trauma, overindulgence in physical exercises, excessive sexual activity and suppressing the natural urges of the body can also lead to gout.
- Pricking pain
- Burning sensation.
- Swollen joints
- Change of colour of the skin
- Pain and redness in the small joints of the body
- Flatulence, abdominal pains, loss of appetite, constipation and highly colored and scant urine may be seen.
- Blood urea test to estimate the level of Uric acid
- Other blood tests like white blood cell count, electrolytes, renal function, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
- X-rays may show tophi-crystal deposits and bone damage
Ayurveda has described disease as "Vat rakta" or Aadya Vata caused due to the imbalance of Air element and accumulation of toxins in the "Rakta" (Blood).
In Ayurveda Vatarakta is classified into 2 types:
- Uttana (superficial) - This is located in the twak (skin) & mamsa (muscle).
- Gambhira (deep) - This is located in the deeper dhatus and its more severe in nature
Treatment of Gout therefore consists of restoring the balance of Vata (Air element) and detoxifying the blood.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Gout
Planet Ayurveda prescribes Herbal Remedies for Gout in the form of GOUT CARE PACK which include anti-inflammatory herbs, to lower levels of uric acid.
1. Navkarshik Churna:
A mixture of nine herbs is purely an herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. It contains Triphala which removes toxins from the body and useful in every other disease. Neem, is an anti-inflammatory that also reduces pain, Katuki improves the health of the kidneys and liver, purifies the blood and corrects the metabolism of "Pitta" and heat regulation in our body. Manjistha dissolve the built-up uric acid that build up in gout patients, and works together with the Triphala to control the level of uric acid in the blood, Giloy is immune-modulator and improves immunity whereas Daruhaldi acts as an anti inflammatory herb. All the herbs acts by correcting the purine metabolism, correcting the liver metabolism, cleansing the blood, breaking uric acid crystals and clearing them away. Navkarshik Churna is one of the best herbal treatment for gout containing best herbs for gout. This works best with other herbal remedies like Kishore Guggul, Punarnava mandur and Gorakhmundi churna
Dosage - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
2. Punarnava Capsules:
Punarnava - Spreading Hogweed - Boerhaavia diffusa: It is a powerful rasayana, and helps in detoxifying the overburdened Kidneys and eliminating excessive fluids and toxins. The plant contains punarnavoside, rotenoids, boeravinones A, B, C, D and E, lignans, flavones and sterols. Punarnavoside is reported to have diuretic & anti-inflammatory property. It pacifies two of the main laws of physiology (Vata and Kapha).
Punarnava enhances the quality of 6 of the 7 categories of bodily tissues, including nutrient plasma (Rasa Dhatu), blood (Rakta Dhatu), muscle (Mamsa Dhatu), fat (Meda Dhatu), bone marrow and nerves (Majja Dhatu), and reproductive fluids (Shukra Dhatu).
According to Ayurveda, Punarnava is diuretic by increasing renal blood flow.
We at Planet Ayurveda contains capsules with standard extract in the quantity of 500 mg in each cap.
Dosage - 2 cap twice daily with water after meal.
3. Kishore Guggul:
It is a guggul formulation used for the raised uric acid, mild to severe attacks of Gouty arthritis. It is an Effective herbal remedy for gout and in painful joint conditions. It removes toxins from within the blood. It corrects the metabolism and uric acid production and elimination process of uric acid from kidneys, improves kidney function. It helps to balance the Vata (Air) and Pitta (Fire) in body. It contains Guggulu (Commniphora Mukul), Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia), which acts as diuretic, it increases urine output which then flushes out the uric acid more quickly.
Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) strengthens the kidneys and reduces pain associated with gout, improves the health of the kidneys and the urinary tract and helps to flush the uric acid out of the body.
Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica), improves the health of the kidneys and the urinary tract and helps to flush the uric acid out of the body.
Amalaki (Embellica Officinalis), controls the levels of uric acid in the blood and is also a good source of vitamin C .
Sunthi (Zingiber Ofﬁcinalis), Maricha (Piper Nigrum), Pippali (Piper Longum), Vidanga (Embelia Ribes), Trivrit (Operculina Turpethum), Danti Mool (Baliospermum Montanum) prevents the formation of uric acid, improves the purification of the blood, and aids in excreting uric acid.
Dosage - 2 tablets twice, after meals, with plain water daily.
4. Giloy Capsules:
Planet Ayurveda's Giloy capsules contain pure extract in the quantity of 500 mg in each cap. This makes a wonderful herbal remedy for gout. Giloy is very well known for its immune-modulator and anti-inflammatory properties. It is bitter, astringent in taste along with light, oil and unctuous properties. It's hot in potency but its effects are cold. All these properties contribute to manage the problem of high uric acid successfully. Regular use of giloy capsules along with other 3 herbal formulations of gout care pack helps to flush out toxins and enhances stamina of body.
Dosage - 1 cap twice daily after meal with water.
In addition to taking medications, acute gout attacks can be managed through diet, a healthy lifestyle, weight management, and a proactive approach, which includes:
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily to cleanse toxins from the body
- Fresh fruits, raw vegetables, Capsicum, honey and sprouts Bananas have been found beneficial in gout
- One should consume about fifteen to twenty five fresh cherries a day.
- The juice of half a lime, squeezed into a glass of water, should be taken twice daily
- Vitamin C may help lower uric acid levels.
- A vegan diet is considered beneficial in ayurveda for the treatment of gout.
- Celery is one of the most beneficial items that help in treatment of gout
- Take light and easily digestible food like steamed or boiled vegetables or vegetable broth.
- Use wholegrain bread, cereals and increase intake of seasonal fruits (except banana).
- Increase the use of garlic, ginger, cumin, fennel, coriander, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, which provide complex carbohydrates.
- All purine and uric acid-producing , high-protein diet foods such as all meats, eggs, and fish; tea, coffee, sugar, white flour and its products; and all canned, processed, and fried foods.
- Avoid excessive salt.
- Avoid dairy products, especially yogurt
- Avoid sour, pungent, fried foods, alcohol and tobacco
- Avoid foods such as white bread, cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and products with high-fructose corn syrup.
- Avoid soft drink and soda consumption, Some condiments such as jams, ketchup, mayonnaise or salad dressings
- Seafood: Shrimp and crab are having high purine levels and must be avoided
- Lemon water with a pinch of ginger powder is very effective to lower uric acid level. Take this daily once or twice.
- Intake of 2-3 fresh, peeled garlic buds with water on an empty stomach in the morning are found beneficial.
- Herbs with anti-inflammatory properties viz: ginger root, liquorice help to relieve pain. You can take them with water.
- Beet juice - 100 ml and cucumber juice - 100 ml should be mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice to make 500 ml of combined juice and can be taken daily.
- Cold packs, applied to the affected joints at night, will be beneficial.
- Fresh air and outdoor exercise are also essential.
- The patient should avoid stress as much as possible.
- Do light and gentle exercises.
- Massage the joints gently with lukewarm sesame oil for 20-30 minutes.
- Avoid cold places and keep the body warm.
- Losing weight helps to lessen the overall stress on joints, lowers uric acid levels and reduces the number of gout attacks.
- Surya namaskar along with stretching exercises can loosen up the muscles.