Cancer is one of the life threatening disease which is increasing day by day rather than decreasing. There are more than 100 types of cancers diagnosed such as lung cancer, brain cancer, breast cancer, blood cancer etc. Have you ever heard about the Polycythemia Vera, it is also a type of blood cancer which is characterized by itching, weakness, redness, headaches which may be due to increased red blood cells or mutation of gene JAK2. It is a rare disease that affects equally both men and women. If it is not treated with time it may get worse. But if it is diagnosed on time it can be managed with herbal medicines without causing any side effects. There are number of herbs can be used in the management of polycythemia vera like brahmi, curcuma, neem, kanchnaar etc.
What is Polycythemia Vera (PV)?
It is also called Polycythemia Rubra Vera (PRV).
It is bone marrow disorder that affects red blood cells production. In this condition, the production of red blood cells is increased that makes the blood thicker. The other cells like white blood cells and platelets are also increased. This may cause complications such as blood clots or bleeding. It is a chronic disorder that may arise slowly with time.
It may be Primary and Secondary Polycythemia Vera:
Primary Polycythemia Vera - It is the term used for polycythemia vera. Its main cause is mutation of gene JAK 2 which releases a protein that is responsible for production of red blood cells.
Secondary Polycythemia Vera - It is due to long term deficiency of oxygen to your body that results in increased production of erythropoietin (EPO) which results in increased production of red blood cells.
Complications associated with Polycythemia Vera
If it is not treated with time then it may get worse. It may be life threatening. There is a risk of more serious blood disorders like blood cancers such as myelo fibrosis or acute leukemia.
What can be the causes?
There are different causes of Polycythemia Vera but the main cause is increased production of red blood cells and platelets. This disorder may be due to the mutation of gene, JAK2V617F (Janus Kinase 2). The cause of this gene mutation is not known. This gene makes a protein that helps in the formation of red blood cells.
What are the symptoms?
In initial stage there are no symptoms shown. With increase in red blood cells the symptoms may get appear. The common signs and symptoms of Polycythemia Vera are given below:
- Fatigue, dizziness and headache
- Difficulty in breathing
- Redness of skin
- Problem in eyesight
- Swelling in joints
- Excessive sweating
Various tests are done to diagnose the problem. Some of the tests are as follow:
- JAK2 Blood test - It helps to diagnose the mutation in the gene (JAK2) which is main cause of Polycythemia Vera. This helps in the formation of red blood cells.
- Full blood count - It helps to count the blood cells. The person with polycythemia has higher red blood cells than normal and also white blood cells and platelets are raised.
- Bone marrow biopsy - It helps to diagnose the Polycythemia Vera.
- Other blood tests - These tests also help in diagnosis of Polycythemia Vera which are given below:
- Vitamin B 12 level in serum
- Level of uric acid
- Level of erythropoietin
- Study of blood clotting
- Oxygen level in blood or oxygen saturation test.
According to Ayurveda, there are three main energies in the body which are responsible for good health. Imbalance of any three energies results in health complications or any disease. According to Ayurveda, this disorder is Pitta dominant Tridoshaja vyadhi. It is also called Rakta dhatu vridhi in Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, treatment aimed towards the balance of all three doshas.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Polycythemia Vera
It can be managed with modern science as well herbal medicines. It cannot be completely treated but the disease can be managed with herbal medicines without any side effects.
Ayurveda provides pure herbal treatment for the management of Polycythemia Vera. Ayurveda is an ancient science of life which offers natural remedies without any side effects. It mainly lies on balance of all three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) of body which is main cause of any health complications. It helps to manage the related symptoms and manages the disease.
Herbal Treatment of Polycythemia Vera by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is one of the good herbal manufacturing company which provides 100% pure and natural herbal medicines obtained from natural herbs. They use pure herbs and the formulations are free from chemicals, preservatives or additives which are safe to use.
There are some Ayurvedic medicines offered by Planet Ayurveda which are explained below:
It is 100% pure natural capsules offered by Planet Ayurveda which is made from Neem (Azadirachta indica) belongs to family Meliaceae. It is native to India and Indian subcontinent including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri lanka.
Benefits - It is used in Ayurveda from longer time because of great medicinal properties. It helps to maintain overall health. It has various therapeutic properties such as anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is helpful in maintaining tridosha and also their related problems.
Dose - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
It is one of the important formulation of Planet Ayurveda which is useful in various blood disorders. These are pure natural herbal tablets which are made from different natural herbs which are listed below:
Ingredients of Kanchnaar Guggul:
- Kanchnaar bark (Bauhinia variegate)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bhibhitaki (Terminali bellerica)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Varuna (Crataeva religiosa)
Benefits - These herbs have various therapeutic properties such as astringent, anthelmintic and anti - oxidant properties. It has property to balance all three doshas in body therefore it is very useful in tridoshaj diseases. It also help to remove toxins from body.
Dose - 2 capsules twice in a day with plain water after meals.
These are pure herbal capsules offered by Planet Ayurveda obtained from extract of Curcumin which is active constituent of Turmeric (Curcuma longa). It has been used from ancient time because of various medicinal properties. It has different therapeutic properties like anti-inflammatory, analgesic and also reduces the stiffness.
Dose - 1 capsule twice in a day with plain water after meals.
These are herbal capsules offered by Planet Ayurveda which balance the pitta dosha in body and fight against various health ailments. It is made from pure natural compounds which are explained below:
- Praval pisti (Coral calcium) - It is found at sea bed and it is rich source of calcium and It helps in balancing pitta dosha and provides calcium to body.
- Akik pisti (Agate calcium) - It helps in balancing vata and pitta doshas and it is also effective against vata and pitta doshas related problems. It is a good source of calcium.
- Jawar mohar pisti (Calcium compound) - It is the natural source of calcium.
- Kamdhudha rasa (Calcium compound) - It keeps the system healthy by balancing pitta dosha.
- Mukta pisti (Pearl calcium) - It helps to balance the pitta related conditions.
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifola) - It helps to balance all three doshas of body and enhances immunity of body therefore it provides complete health.
Dose - 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals
It is an herbal powder formulation obtained from the blend of different herbs which are listed below:
The main ingredients of Navkarshik Churna:
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Katuki (Picorrhiza kurrao)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Daru haldi (Berberis aristata)
Benefits - The herbs used in this formulation have various therapeutic properties like anti-bacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and astringent action. It has property to remove toxins from blood and purifies the blood. It helps to maintain overall health.
Dosage - 1 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
Diet and Lifestyle
If you are diagnosed with polycythemia vera then you can feel better by following some simple steps which are given below:
- Regular exercise like walking that helps to improve your blood circulation.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet, include fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid use of tobacco, alcohol.