Due to weak digestive fire, food is not digested properly that leads to indigestion. It is a common chronic disorder of lower digestive system in which the solid wastes of body are eliminated at irregular intervals or inefficiently and non-eliminated wastes starts accumulating in the large intestine.
Constipation may manifest in different ways - not passing bowels even once a day or a sense of incomplete evacuation. Although constipation is often looked upon as a common problem, if not treated or if treatment is delayed, it can lead to further problems such as fissures, fistulas, piles, lack of appetite and indigestion. Disease of constipation has not been discussed separately in Ayurvedic texts, it is occurrence as a symptom of various diseases and ways to tackle it has been described. Constipation is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts by the name of Vibandha meaning obstructing or binding of stool. Vibandha occurs when something is wrong somewhere in our food habits.
- Irregular eating habits
- Fasting excessively
- Incompatible food intake
- Intake of excessive hot, cold, sour, pungent or dry food
- Intake of water immediately after food
- Excessive physical exertion
- Suppressing natural urges
- Heavy spicy foods
- Sedentary lifestyle, lack of proper exercise
- Poor dietary habits like consuming diet insufficient in fibres, fruits, fresh vegetables lead to difficult hard stools
- Secondary causes like Ano-rectal disorders such as piles, tumors, rectocele, psychological factors like Excessive stress, mental exhaustion etc are some of the triggering causative factors causing constipation
Causative factors lead to Ama (toxin formed due to improper digestion) formation and abnormal movement of Apana vata (a sub type of vata dosha which helps in expulsion of the stool). This makes the stool dry, slowed peristalsis and retention of stools in colon or pakvashaya . Hence the person feels difficulty in passing stools leading to Vibandha or Constipation. The vitiation of the Apan vata and the failure of the expulsion make the stool harder causing Vibandha.
- Hyper Acidity
- Lack of appetite
Ayurvedic Medicines for Constipation
Planet Ayurveda provides 100 percent pure and vegetarian products. Here is a combo pack from the house of Planet Ayurveda for healthy stomach and intestines. This pack contains three products in it and they are Triphala capsules, Yakritplihantak churna and Kumari saar. All these products are free from chemicals and are safe to use.
1. Triphala Capsules
It is a blend of three (3) herbs like Haritakai, Bibhitaki, & Amlaki. The combination helps in natural cleansing of colon in a natural way, clears the channel blockages, improves digestion, and hence improves functioning of digestive system. Individually each herb has a unique property through which the disease is taken care viz:
Haritaki: commonly known as Harad, acts as a mild laxative. This helps in reliving chronic constipation and improves digestion by increasing the digestive fire.
Bibhitaki: commonly known as baheda, the fruit and kernel of the herb contains edible oil and gallic acid which has a laxative property. It acts on the Digestive system, lubricates and loosens up the accumulated mala/ fecal substance and propels it out of the body.
Amlaki: Due to the presence of Tannin, Vitamin C present in Amla does not perish even if amla is boiled. It acts on the digestive system and helps in improving taste, appetite and removing constipation through its properties of digestion, laxation and rasayana.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily after meal with water.
2. Vara Churna
A great combination of herbs - Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) and Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) that helps to keep bowel clear timely. Amalaki is a richest source of Citric acid and Ascorbic Acid that build strong immune system. Haritaki helps in improving the functioning of the digestive system. It prevents blockages in the pathway of the digestive system. Bibhitaki helps in improving metabolism of the liver and provides cleansing of the colon significantly.
3. Yakritplihantak Churna
It contains a combination of herbs like Bhumi Amla, Kalmegh, Bhringraj, Sharpunkha, Kaasni, Katuki, Makoy, Punarnava, which help in improving the functioning of liver by clearing the toxins.
Herbs like Bhumi amlaki, Kalmegh, bhringraj, Katuki are bitter in taste and stimulate the taste bud, increase appetite, laxative and liver stimulant and there main action is on liver. They improve the bilious flow hence help in digesting ama, removing channels blockages.
Dosage: ½ to 1 teaspoonful twice daily, with plain water or fruit juice, after meals.
4. Kumari Saar
Made with the pulp of Aloe vera, which has laxative, anti-flatulent and ante-helminthic properties. Also the pulp contains Aloe Emodin lipases and proteases which break down food and aids digestion, clears the toxins from system. It increases the secretions of small intestines and promotes the peristalsis of large intestine, since its action is slow the laxative effects is observed after 10-12 hours. After taking this regularly stools are observed to be soft.
Dosage: 20-30ml twice daily, empty stomach with equal quantity of water.
For the chronic constipation cases, Other than the above following medicines as available at Planet Ayurveda can also be administered as per the guidance of physician and depending upon the severity of disease:
Digestion support is purely herbal formulation without any chemical added to it.
It contains blend of unique herbs like Amlaki, Haritaki, Bahera, Sounf, Dhania, Pippali, & Jeerak which has digesting & carminative properties and is very useful in disorders caused by disturbance in Agni like flatulence, loss of appetite, indigestion leading to constipation. The combination also stimulates liver, pancreas and intestines to secrete digestive juices properly and adequately, aids in complete digestion of food.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily in middle of meals with little water
2. Detox Tea
In constipation undigested food material remains in intestines and colon region producing toxins, over the years these toxins gets accumulated in our body and starts producing various symptoms like not feeling fresh after getting up in the morning, bitter taste in the mouth, drowsiness, belching etc.
Detox tea is a blend of pure herbs like Taruni, Arjuna, Bhumi amla, Punarnava, Saunf, Bari ellaichi, Daal chini, Chhoti Elaichi.
Oils present in these herbs seeds like that of Saunf , bari ellaichi , chhoti ellaich and Daal chini acts on the digestive system through its deepan , anuloman properties, act as an appetizer, digestive and laxative. Hence it helps in agnimandya (weak digestive fire), and constipation. Other herbs like Taruni, Arjuna, Bhumi amla, Punarnava through their properties, cleans the liver, strengthen & increase the blood flow to organs hence remove the toxins through excretory routes.
Dose: It should be taken daily instead of caffeinated tea for complete detoxification without any side effects. It's a blend of 100% natural herbs and free from caffeine, artificial colors and tasters.
The unique combination of herbs like Chitraka, Pippali, Sajikakshar etc. stimulates the digestive fire and helps in removing Aam dosha, which is formed due to lack of Digestive fire.
Chitraka due to its hot pungent properties act as appetizer& digestive therefore useful in indigestion and stimulating the liver.
Pippali is an appetizer, carminative with mild laxative properties is effective in the symptoms which are caused by constipation viz: anorexia, loss of appetite, indigestion, and colic, liver disorders etc. it regulates the functions of liver hence useful in treating agnimandya or less digestive fire.
For Chronic constipation Triphala Guggul should be taken instead of Triphla tablets: it has a unique combination of herbs like Haritaki, Bibhitaki, Amalaki, and Shuddh Guggulu
Here Gugglu through its tikshna and snigdha properties acts as a laxative and liver stimulant, found to be effective in chronic constipation.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily
- Avoid diet like meat eggs, oils, fats cheese, refined starch products like bread cakes or food which require lot of energy for digestion in summer season
- Avoid starch, substitute fruits, vegetables, lots of salads bean sprouts, whole grain flour, dried fruits like figs, raisins, prunes
- Drink plenty of fluids and water, fresh fruit juices reduce intake of salt.
- Moderate walking after meals.
- Avoid sleeping immediately after food.
- Take outdoor exercises like brisk walking, cycling swimming
- Take Steamed boiled vegetables, fresh fruits vegetables, vegetable soup, Turnip sprouts, prunes, apples, pears, grapes, berries, ginger, cumin seeds, lemon juice, figs, raisins, fenugreek.
- Fresh prepared food, meals should be taken regularly.
- Lifestyle modification, like maintaining the routine for eating, exercising, and sleeping.
Yoga, swimming, walking, meditation, breathing exercise are found to be beneficial in constipation.
Suryanamaskara, -12 rounds
Asanas pawanmuktasana, vajrasana, shashankasana, halasana, tadaasna, tiryk tadasana, kati chakrasna, tiryak bhujangasna, udaraakarshanasna, matsyasana, ardha matsyendrasan, mayurasna,sit in vajrasana for 10 minutes after each meal.
- Bhastrika with mahabandha and kumbhaka-5 rounds each morning
- Surya bheda-10 rounds
- Mudras: Pashinee mudra, yoga mudra, ashwinin mudra.
Bandhas: uddiyana bandha, and maha bandha
Shatkriayas: Agnisar Kriya, nauli, basti, and moola shodhana, laghoo shankhaprakshalana should be practiced each morning in the guidance of yoga teacher.
- 1 tablespoon of Flax seeds should be grinded and mixed with warm water and should be taken early morning.
- Soak few dates in milk and boil , this milk should be taken in the night to relive the constipation
- 7-8 Figs soaked in water overnight in a glass of water, boil them and reduce the water to half, take it empty stomach. Figs due to their high fibrous content help in relieving constipation.
- Add lemon juice and honey in warm water and consume it every morning empty stomach. It acts as a stimulant for digestive system, helps in flushing out .
- Add a spoon of Castor oil in warm water and take it in the night.
- Warm milk should be added with a spoon of pure cow's ghee and should be taken before sleeping. This provides lubrication and increases the intestinal mobility and loosening up the stools.