WHAT IS GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS (GM)?
It is rare chronic inflammatory condition of breast. In this condition the breast gets inflamed and develops a tissue mass. It is difficult to differentiate from breast cancer because it is similar to breast cancer. It may occur at any time but it is most common after 2-6 years of pregnancy. It may involve all parts of breast. It may present as distinct firm lump mostly in sub areolar region (area behind nipples) of breast.
GM is divided into two types - Idiopathic granulomatous mastitis (Granular lobular mastitis) and Granulomatous mastitis.
SYMPTOMS OF GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS
Common Sign and Symptoms of GM are given below:
- Formation of lumps in breasts
- Breast inflammation
- Excretion of fluid from breasts
- Pain in breasts
- Retraction of the nipples
- Enlargements of lymph nodes
- Warmth feeling in breast on touch.
CAUSES OF GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS
The exact cause of GM is unknown. It is an autoimmune disease. Some of other causes may be:
- Blockage of milk duct: If breast is not completely empty after feeding, it may block milk duct or become clogged that results in breast infection.
- Bacterial infection: Sometimes a bacteria may enter milk duct of breast through baby’s mouth or through surface that results in infection.
- Elevated prolactin level.
DIAGNOSIS OF GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS
It is difficult to diagnose only on the basis of symptoms. Doctors diagnose GM on the basis of physical examination and some tests.
Physical examination - doctors diagnose symptoms such as fever, chills, pain and area around the nipples of breast.
- CT scan
- Core biopsy- it is main test to diagnose GM. In this a sample of tissue is taken from breast for analysis.
COMPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS
If it is left untreated then it may cause severe problems. If GM occurs due to blockage it may block the duct completely due to accumulation of pus (abscess) in that region and forms breast mass or lump and it requires surgery to remove it. To avoid such severe condition consult a doctor as soon as possible according to sign and symptoms.
According to Ayurveda, there are three main energies (vata, pitta and kapha) which are responsible for health. Imbalance of any three energies results in any disease condition.
Ayurveda has mentioned diseases related to breast and vitiation of breast milk by Tridosha in Ancient Text Charak Samhita.
GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA
Ayurveda is an ancient science of medicine which provides natural solution to all ailments. It is safe and effective for management of diseased condition. These have no side effects. Ayurveda mainly focuses on balance of all three doshas which is helpful in maintaining good health.
PLANET AYURVEDA'S FORMULATION FOR GRANULOMATOUS MASTITIS
Planet Ayurveda is an herbal manufacturing company which offers natural supplements to manage various diseased conditions. The products offered by Planet Ayurveda is 100% pure and safe because these do not contain any chemical substances in it.
There are many herbal formulations for management of GM provided by Planet Ayurveda which are explained below:
1. NEEM CAPSULES:
It is 100% natural product offered by planet ayurveda which is obtained from neem (Azadirachta indica) belongs to family Meliaceae. It is native to India and Indian subcontinent including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri lanka.
- It helps to maintain healthy skin.
- It possesses anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has positive results on skin diseases like eczema, acne or psoriasis.
- It is helpful in maintaining tridosha in balance.
Dose- 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. KACHNAR GUGGUL:
These are pure natural herbal tablets which are obtained from different herbs which are explained below:
Ingredients of Kachnar Guggul-
- Kachnaar bark (Bauhinia variegate)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bhibhitaki (Terminali bellerica)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Varuna (Crataeva religiosa)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) – It is rejuvenating in nature. It has property to maintain all three doshas.
- Bhibhitaki (Terminali bellerica) – It has cleansing property. It is good to reduce cyst and swelling.
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) – It has anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties. It is immune modulator also.
Benefits- It has astringent, anthelmintic and anti – oxidant properties. It helps to flush out toxins in the lymphatic system. It prevents cysts and tumors etc.
Dose- 2 tablets twice or thrice in a day with plain water after meals.
3. GANDHAK RASAYAN:
These are herbal tablets which are made from Shuddh Gandhak (Purified Sulphur). The word rasayan means rejuvenation. Its natural property is to rejuvenate the body without any side effects. It helps to remove toxins from body.
Dose- 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals.
4. NIRGUNDI OIL:
It is an herbal oil obtained from different herbs which are given below:
- Tilla oil (Sesamum indicum)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Haldi (Curcuma longa)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Kalihari (Gloriosa superba)
Benefits- It has anti-inflammatory properties which helps to manage inflammatory conditions.
Direction For Use- It is for external use only. Apply on affected skin area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. It is more beneficial to apply nirgundi oil before bath to reduce swelling, pain and irritation.
5. JATYADI OIL / MAHAMIRCHADHI OIL:
Its external use is good for wound healing.
It is an herbal oil which is obtained from numerous natural herbs haridra, manjishta,marica, trivrt, kalihari, pippali, khadira, musta, guduchi etc.
Benefits- It is very beneficial in various skin related problems. It has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
Direction for Use- It is used for external use only. Apply on affected skin area.