Coronary Artery Disease is very common Heart disease that involves the impairment in the blood supply to the heart muscles via coronary arteries. It is due to thickening of the arteries because of plaque build up in the arteries (atherosclerosis). As a result, less supply of blood and oxygen goes to heart muscles which can lead to pain in the chest pain (Angina) or may cause Heart Attack.
It is also called as Coronary Heart Disease or Ischemic Heart Disease.
Ayurveda has designated heart as an origin of channel of rasa dhatu (which is first tissue out of seven recognized tissues). Digestion of food by gastric fire forms this rasa dhatu. Poor gastric fire, consumption of improper diet, mental stress etc. lead to production of toxins, vitiated rasa dhatu. Toxins (ama) from rasa dhatu go into the heart and create blockages in channels. Such blockages result in IHD.
SYMPTOMS OF CAD
Angina is the common symptom of CAD when artery is partially blocked, one feels pressure or tightness in the chest. May involve an aching, burning, or numb sensation and fullness or squeezing in your chest. Besides chest it may also be felt in the left shoulder, arms, neck, back or jaw.
Feeling of shortness of breath and sweating also accompanies.
Fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting are most common features.
Heart Attack occurs if complete blockage of coronary artery occurs.
WHAT CAUSES CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE?
- Atherosclerosis is the most common cause of CAD. This results because of narrowing and hardening of the arteries due to accumulation of cholesterol, fats and other substances forming a sticky material called plaque on inner walls of the coronary arteries. This narrowing and hardening of arteries reduces the blood supply to the heart muscles which makes the heart to receive less oxygen and nutrients required for the working of heart muscles which may cause chest pain discomfort known as Angina.
- Other causes include coronary spasm: coronary artery embolism, dissection, aneurysm, and vasculitis.
CAUSES OF CAD - AYURVEDIC VIEW
"HRIDROGA" combination of Word 'HRID' defines 'heart' and 'ROG' defines 'disease'. As stated by Ayurveda heart is evaluated as a main channel for rasa and rakta dhatu. Unhealthy food intake and sedentary life style causes blockage in the heart. The main power controlling everything in the body is vata dosha. Vikrati of meda dhatu, kapha dosha blocks the way of vata. Aggravation of vata dosha causes pain in heart and other symptoms like cough, fatigue, palpitations, loss of appetite etc.
MAJOR RISK FACTORS ARE
- Lack of exercise and Physical inactivity.
- Obesity is also one of the reason.
- Stress and tension are certain predisposing factors that develop atherosclerosis
- High cholesterol level, (particularly the "bad" component known as Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL)
- Certain systemic diseases increase the risk, like High blood pressure (Hypertension), Diabetes and Hyperthyroidism.
- Smoking and tobacco enhance the risk of CAD.
- Strong family history of CAD.
- Males are more prone and post-menopausal women are also at risk factor.
- Age above 50 years.
CERTAIN LIFESTYLE CHANGES ARE BENEFICIAL IN PREVENTION OF CAD:
- Less use of sodium in your diet.
- Keep healthy diets like fibre rich foods including vegetables and fruits.
- Increase Physical Activity in your routine.
- Regular yoga or exercise and mediation reduces the risk of heart disease by maintaining the blood pressure level.
- Stop Smoking as nicotine constrict the blood vessels making the heart to work harder.
- Get good and plentiful sleep.
- Keep your diabetes under control.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CAD
Herbal Formulation which is good supporter of Heart System. Maintains the health of Heart and Blood Vessels.
- Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) - Herb is the important ingredient of total heart support, useful in the treatment of artery disease, heart failure. It controls high blood pressure and balances the level of cholesterol by decreasing the LDL cholesterol and maintaining HDL cholesterol in the body. The bark part of the Arjuna tree is rich in natural oxidants, saponins, Gallic acid, phtosterols and oligomeric, proanthocyanidin and is used for many heart problems, as angina, coronary artery disease, artery blockage, high cholesterol, and blood pressure. It enhances the pumping capacity of the heart on regular usage. Its usage is for relieving artery blockage. It strengthens the heart muscles.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) - This herb has excellent properties like anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties which helps to strengthen the heart muscles. Beneficial in stress, Anxiety and controlling blood Pressure.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) - As per Ayurveda this herb is useful to control the high blood pressure in the body beneficial to maintain the better heart health.
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) - Its leaves and flowers are used in treating high blood pressure. Relieves stress and anxiety.
DOSE: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
2. ARJUN TEA:
- Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) - Arjuna is, cardiac stimulant, hypolipdemic, hypotensive, astringent and hemostatic, these properties makes it to be used for treating various diseases related to heart. It is helpful in strengthening the heart muscles. Enchances the pumping activity of Heart.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia Diffusa) - Word punarnava is combination of two words "PUNAR" means ‘again’ and "NAVA" means ‘new’. Its properties are good for heart.
- Pipal Tvak (Ficus Religiosa) - Leaves, fruits, bark, tender shoot, latex and seeds have medicinal properties. The leaves of the peepal are used in the treatment of heart diseases. It is very effective in relieving palpitation of the heart and cardiac weakness.
- Dalchini (Cinnamon Tamala) - It is a cardiac stimulant because of its properties.
- Choti Elaichi (Elettaria Cardamom) - Cardamom is evergreen herbaceous plant. Seeds useful in cardiac stimulation.
DOSE: 1 cup daily is recommended.
3. ARJUN CAPSULES:
Arjun capsules are the herbal formulation prepared by planet Ayurveda having excellent properties to manage high cholesterol levels in the body. The properties of this formulation is very beneficial to treat the heart diseases.
Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna): Standard extract of Arjun capsule. Used to clear the blockage of arteries and also improves blood circulation effectively. This is a natural herbal supplement for treating heart problems. Bark of this tree contains natural alkaloids and are much effective for heart problems.
- Prabhava (Special effects) – Hriday (Cardiac tonic)
- Effective on doshas – Balances Kapha and pitta
DOSE: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.