The nervous system is a complex collection of nerves and specialized cells known as neurons that transmit signals between different parts of body. It is essentially body's electrical wiring. Structurally nervous system has two parts- Central Nervous System (CNS) and Peripheral Nervous System (PNS).
GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME (GBS)
It is a rare auto immune disorder of peripheral nervous system in which body's immune system attacks nerves which results in muscle weakness, loss of reflexes and numbness and tingling in arms, legs, face and other parts of body.
This rare condition can cause paralysis and lead to death. But most people get better and having few lasting problems.
GBS has number of subtypes such as Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (AIDP) which is most common in Europe and North America, Acute Motor Axonal Neuropathy (AMAN), Acute Motor and Sensory Axonal Neuropathy (AMSAN), Pharyngeal-cervical-brachial variant, generally normal sometimes axonal neuropathy in arms, Miller Fischer syndrome.
SARVANGATA VATA VAYADHI IN AYURVEDIC VIEW
This condition can be correlated with Sarvangata vata vayadhi (vata disorder affecting all parts of body), which is apatarpana in nature (diseases with deprived nourishment of body tissue) preceded by jvara (fever before onset of GBS).
CAUSES OF GBS
The exact cause of GBS is not known. This disorder is usually appears days or weeks after a respiratory or digestive tract infection.
In GBS, the immune system attacks the covering i.e. myelin sheath of certain nerves. This causes nerve damage.
INFECTIONS THAT MAY TRIGGER GBS
It usually begins with viral or bacterial infection that affects nerves. Often it is after an infection of lungs or stomach and intestines.
- Campylobacter jejuni which can cause a type of food poisoning.
- Mycoplasma which can cause pneumonia.
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) which can cause fever, chills, sore throat, body aches, fatigue.
- Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) which can cause mononucleosis.
- Varicella-zoster virus which can cause chickenpox and shingles.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GBS INCLUDE
- Numbness or tingling in hands and feet and sometimes around mouth and lips.
- Muscle weakness in arms and legs.
- Trouble speaking, chewing and swallowing
- Not being able to move eyes
- Back pain
- Rapid heart rate
- Low or high blood pressure
- Difficulty with bladder control or bowel function
GMV affect all age groups but it has slightly greater risk in males.
IT MAY BE TRIGGERED BY
- Some commonly infections like campylobacter
- Influenza virus
- HIV virus
- Mycoplasm pneumonia
- Epstein virus
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma
TESTS AND DIGNOSIS
It is difficult to find in its early stages. Its signs and symptoms are similar to those of other neurological disorders and may vary from person to person.
Diagnosis is start with complete medical history and physical examination. Doctors may suggest some tests are:
- Spinal tap / Cerebrospinal fluid analysis (CSF analysis) / lumbar puncture – A small amount of fluid is withdrawn from spinal canal. Protein level is elevated in CSF fluid in case of GBS that distinguish it from other conditions.
- Electromyography- Thin electrodes are inserted into muscles that measures nerve activity in muscles.
- Nerve conduction studies- Electrodes are taped to the skin above nerves. A shock is passed through nerves to check the speed of signals.
- MRI of spinal cord
- Blood tests for potassium level, sodium level.
HERBAL TREATMENT FOR GBS BY PLANET AYURVEDA
1. Ashwagandha Capsules:-
It is 100% natural capsules obtained from withania somnifera.
Withania somnifera- It is commonly known as Ashwagandha. It is asmall shrub which belongs to family Solanaceae. This plant is native to India, parts of Africa and Mediterranean.
USES- Ashwagandha is known for its health benefits.
- It helps to promote overall well being of body.
- It enhances the immunity of body which is main reason of GBS.
- It is good anti oxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It nourishes the brain to quick functioning.
- It possesses natural rejuvenating properties to the body. It is also used in fatigue, stress and weakness.
DOSE- 2 capsules twice a day
2. Brahmi Capsules:-
It is obtained from natural herb Brahmi (Bacopa monnoieri).
Bacopa monnoieri- It is commonly known as Brahmi belongs to family Plantaginceae. It is perennial creeping herb which is native to wetlands of Southern India, Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa and North and South America.
- It decrease stress and helps to increase mental capacity.
- It has also anti-oxidant properties. It also improves metabolism.
- It has positive effect on nervous system that promotes the coordination between nervous system components that increase brain functioning. Therefore it is used as brain tonic.
DOSE- 1-2 capsules daily with water after meal.
3. Hakam Churna:-
It is pure natural powder obtained from mixture of Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigellia sativa), Methi (Trigonellafoenum graceum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi).
- It balances all three body energies namely vata, pitta and kapha.
- It helps maintain overall health and support digestive system.
DOSE- 1 teaspoon twice a day with water.
It is one of the most useful combination of anti inflammatory herbs i.e Shallki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa).
Boswellia- It is a plant belongs to family Burseraceae which is native to India that has anti- inflammatory properties. Its extract is mixture of shallaki tree and boswellic acid.
Curcumin- It is chemical constituent of Curcuma longa. It is commonly known as turmeric belongs to family Zingiberaceae. It has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is helpful in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders like GBS.
- It is also helpful in treatment of inflammatory disease like arthritis.
- It is also useful in bacterial and viral infections which are one of the reasons of GBS.
It can be used for longer time without any side effect.
DOSE- 2 capsules twice in a day with water.
5. Jeevantayadhi Ghrit:-
It is herbal product which is helpful in the treatment of GBS.
DOSE- ½ spoon with milk.
To manage the stress of recovery from GBS consider these suggestions-
- Maintain a strong support system from friends and family.
- Contact a support group.
- Discuss concern with counselor.
WHERE TO BUY THESE HERBAL REMEDIES?
Not Satisfied, E-mail to Dr. Vikram Chauhan or Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan at email@example.com