Fibromyalgia is a chronic neurosensory syndromecharacterized by constant unexplained pain, fatigue and stiffness throughout the body muscles. Commonly seen in women between the age of 25 and 60 years. It is also called fibrositis.
- Weak digestive fire- altering metabolism
- Irregular sleep
- late night awakening
- Incompatible food intake
- Chronic pain since last 3 months or more
- Hypersensitivity to stimulation
- Irritable bladder
- Blurred vision, dry eyes
- Disturbed sleep and feeling drowsy in the morning even after night sleep
- Gradual loss of movement
- Depression, anxiety and mood disturbance, forgetfulness, poor concentration
- Migraine and tension generatedheadache
- Upper and lower back pain, joint pain
- Tenderness of muscles, ligaments and joint
- Body heaviness
- Intermittent fever
- Cramps during menstruation
- Low serotonin levels
- Elevate level of nerve chemical substance P
- Pain on both sides of body and above and below waist lasting more than 3 months
- Tenderness on digital examination at predesignated site
- ESR and CRP Levels (c - reactive protein), Vitamin B12 & D and total blood count for differential diagnosis
Considered as vatavyadhi caused due to the Vitiation of Ama (toxins produced due to undigested food particle) and vata and obstruction of vatavaha and mamasavahasrotas. Here channels get blocked by toxins affectingMamsadhatu (muscles and tendons) produces symptoms like pain, stiffness, fatigue, contracture, loss of movement, intolerability even with slight touch.
Herbs which help in toxins cleansing from body channels, improving and strengthening digestion to prevent the re accumulation of toxins in the channels, increasing antioxidants and free radicals in body, balancing nervous system and improving sleep quality shall be taken in combination. Some of these are:
Kumari Saar (Aloe vera juice) opens channels cleanse them, removes the accumulated toxins and improves circulation and drugs like (Nirgundi, shallaki, guggul, ashwagandha and ginger are found to be useful in curing fibromyalgia.
Planet Ayurveda offers a Fibromyalgia Care Pack containing natural herbs. This pack contains:-
HERBAL FORMULATION IN THIS PACK
Joint Aid Plus
|Nirgundi, Sallaki, Guggulu, South, Ashwagandha||2 Capsules twice daily with plain water.|
|Sallaki, Haridra||2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water|
|Suranjan,Methi, Gorakhmundi, South, Ashwagandha, haridra||1 Tsp twice daily after meals with water|
|Brahmi, Tagar, Ashwagandha||1 Capsule twice daily|
All these give excellent result within one month of treatment. Each pack is a combination of many herbs useful for maintaining health digestion, metabolism and pain management.
The description of herbs per pack and their mode of action is as below:
Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
It purifies body, checks accumulation of fluid in the body, it eliminates microorganisms in body, and it contains volatile essential oils, phenol, camphene, artemetin helpful in pain & swelling management.
Best Analgesic, Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, alleviating vata, brain tonic, cleaning and healing affect.
The tikta, katu and ushan properties of the drug improves appetite and digestion.
Sallaki (Boswellia Serrata)
It contains Sitosterol and volatile oils as main ingredient.
It acts as digestive and useful in loss of appetite, stimulates sweating by opening the channels.
Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
It contains oleoresins, guggulsterone Z & E , has anti inflammatory , analgesic, and anti bacterial actionalso a nervine tonic, it increases leucocytes count and hemoglobin hence increasing the immunity, antihelmintic, effective in rejuvenating the body tissues, efficient in scrapping out excess fat and toxins out of the body
South- Ginger Contains compounds called gingerols that offer free-radical protection. It also help in joint pains and aampachan.
Curcumin (Curcuma Longa)
Turmeric contains volatile oil and raisins Turmeric is one of the best anti inflammatory herb, having healing property , stimulates liver hence acts as appetizer, laxative, aampachak (aids in digestion of undigested food particles) , reduces weakness, has anti oxidant properties and have analgesic effects.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Also called winter cherry.
It has a bitter alkaloid named somniferin which has hypnotic andstress relivingactivity. It also has steroidal lactones like withanolidesand withanoferins which helps in relieving pain and swelling,weakness, has sedative effect and nervine tonic, helpful in insomnia and giddiness act, purifies blood, reduces edema, increasesimmunity, and reduces burning sensation of urine.
Methi - Fenugreek
Fenugreek possesses anti-oxidative effects, which relieve inflammation and helps get rid of inflammatory-related skin issues.
Suranjan (Colchicum luteum)
It contain alkaloid named colchicines which has pain reliving, anti-depressant and healing properties.Other than this it helps in preventing indigestion and relieving constipation. It is also a good blood purifier. It also act diuretic hence flushing the body toxins through urine.
Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus Indicus)
Useful in conditions associated with edema and pain.
Tagar (Valeriana wallichii)
It helps in reducing pains of body, calms and relaxes the bodyenhances sleep, maintain normal body temperature
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
It's a valuable herb for brain and entire nervous system. It helps in depression, enhancing intelligence, cardio and brain tonic, act as Antioxidant.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables juice of carrot beetroot, crane berry, which are high in fibers and rich in anti oxidantsetc
- Take plenty of cucumber along with mint leaves.
- Drumstick eaten as vegetable, flowers or pods are beneficial.
- Energy foods like almonds, dried dates, beans, tofu, oatmeal, whole grain bread, walnuts, cucumber, melons
- Steamed vegetables like tinda, ghiya, parval, cabbage, drumstick, fenugreek, ginger, carrot, pumpkin, zucchini, squash, coriander, asafetida, nutmeg, garlic, raw turmeric, caraway seeds, fennel, cashews,soaked almonds, flaxseed rich in omega 3 fatty acid. Wholegrain,low fat dairy products or fresh sweet curd, tomatoesshould be included in the diet.
- Coconut milk and coconutwater, cucumber, lemon, orange, saindhavlavan or rock salt, red pepper, clove, black pepper, cumin, spinach etc are also found to be beneficial
- Wheat: wheat grass juice is very beneficial.
Sweets, processed foods, high saturated fats, more salt and sugar, artificial sweeteners,Spicy oily , junk and fried foods, sugar, white flour, refined sugar, cocoa, chocolate, pastries, cakes, yogurt, Tea, coffee, alcohol, canned juice, frozen foods, bitter astringent foods, cauliflower, broccoli, yam, potatoes, colocasia, lady fingeretc.
One should avoid pickles, tamarind, vinegar and other sour items.
- Drinking juice of fresh radish daily for 15 days.
- Powder of Amla 3gms added with honey should be taken along with warm cow’s milk
- Haldi1tsp added with amlachoorna 1tsp should be taken ½ tsp along with warm milk
- Nirgundileaves are heated and are made to a poultice and tied over the affected part for chronic widespread pain.
- Paste of guggul is topically applied over the affected part directly.
- Nirgundileaves decoction can be made and tub bath can be taken for the affected part to remove the congestion reducing the obstruction of blood and increasing the circulation, reducing edema if anyand also for relieving pain.
- Medicatedsteam with herbs like nirgundi
- Preparea poultice from raw potato and shall be applied in affected area helps in relieving pain.
- Drinking water kept overnight in copper vessel shall be taken empty stomach every morning.
- 5 tsp of black gram is boiled in a glass of water, when reduced to half, strain taken twice daily.
- Boil 50 fresh mint leaves in a glass of water boil and reduce it to half, strain and drink it twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Juice of carrot, cucumber and beetroot taken together in equal quantity is found beneficial.
- Onion should be baked on coal and after removing the outer layers shall be consumed, is found useful in neuropathy.
- Mix onion juice along with equal quantity of mustard oil and should be massaged on painful parts.
- Cleam a big pod of garlic, cut in to two pieces and boil in milk, this preparation shall be taken for 42 days to relive the symptoms. The quantity should be increased gradually.
- Garlic shall be ground and mixed with sesame oil and applied on the affected parts to relive the symptoms.
- Yoga, suryanamaskara, Pranayama and mediation also should be practiced moderately.
- Yogasanas like trikonasana, ardhachandrasana, Padangusthasana, Padahastasana, Uttanasana, sarvangasana, ustrasana, setubandhasana, vrikshasana shall be practiced up to 5 rounds each.
- Deep relaxation exercises like yoga nidra, and shavasana shall be practiced for stress mangemtn.
- Massage with Luke warm sesame oil before bath for 10-15 minutes.
- Maintain body fitness level.
- Food should be consumed in proper timings
- Avoiding incompatible food items
- Avoiding late night awakening
- Do not disturb the body’s natural rhythm and body urges.
- Eating balanced diet which is fibrous and rich in antioxidants.
- Drinking minimum 2 liters of water daily.